Sr. Research Associate - Immunology
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 12/6/2016
UT Soutwestern University Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONFull/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Ph.D. degree with major coursework in field of assignment and no experience required.
Master's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and five (5) years laboratory experience, including at least two (2) years at level of Research Associate or equivalent.
Bachelor's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and six (6) years laboratory experience, including at least two (2) years at level of Research Associate or equivalent.
Organizes laboratory to which assigned; determines work assignments of subordinates, advising them as to techniques, procedures, and equipment to be utilized in solution of work problems; and reviews completed work for professional quality and attainment of desired results.
Compiles and evaluates research data; develops new or revised techniques and procedures based upon such data.
Performs or supervises design, development, or adaptation of equipment or apparatus used in research experiments to obtain desired results.
Compiles and analyzes results of research assignments, and submits to principal investigator.
Instructs medical students, graduate students, residents, and other laboratory personnel of lower grade with respect to techniques, procedures, and equipment utilized in research or experiments.
Confers with industrial, governmental, or other professional groups with respect to progress or results of research assignment.
Assists principal investigator and other professional personnel in preparation of reports and papers for publication, usually exercising responsibility for writing of particular segment or phase of report or paper.
Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Performs Next Generation Sequencing library preparation in a CLIA-certified laboratory, within the Department of Immunology, and participates in the development/validation of new lab assays. Works as part of a team to optimize protocols and carry out R&D projects.
2. Performs DNA and RNA extractions from clinical specimens such as FFPE blocks and blood using standard operating procedures. Carries out basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR, RT qPCR, gel electrophoresis and nucleic acid quantifications.
3. Organizes CLIA lab, including inventory control of reagents and other supplies, scheduling of regular lab equipment maintenance and calibration as well as other tasks. Documents all lab procedures, equipment calibration and maintenance records.
4. May assist in the instruction and training of subordinates, students and others as to techniques, procedures, and equipment to be utilized in solution of work problems; may review completed work for quality and attainment of desired results.
5. Compiles and analyzes results of research assignments and submits to Lab Manager and principal investigator for review.
6. Assists principal investigator and other personnel in preparation of reports and papers for publication, usually exercising responsibility for writing a particular segment of a report or paper.
7. May confer with industrial, governmental or other CLIA lab customers with respect to assay requirements and progress to date.
Essential skills and abilities:
Excellent customer service, organizational and communication skills. High attention to detail required. Extensive experience in Molecular Biology techniques such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, RNA/DNA extraction and purification. Ability to follow written SOPs to carry out responsibilities. Ability to work with a diverse group of people essential.
Next generation sequencing experience is a plus, as is experience in making NGS libraries (Transcriptome, Whole Genome and Target Enrichment) for sequencing on Illumina NGS platform.
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..