Sr Technical Support Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
ARRIS Group, Inc.
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY #LI-SS1
ARRIS is a premier video and broadband technology company that transforms how service providers worldwide deliver entertainment and communications without boundaries. Its powerful end-to-end platforms enable service and content providers to improve the way people connect with each other and with their favorite content. The Companys vision and expertise continue to drive the industrys innovations, as they have for more than 60 years. Headquartered north of Atlanta, in Suwanee, Georgia, ARRIS has R&D, sales and support centers throughout the world.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an outstanding team of engineers developing products for the leading Cable providers of the world. Were looking for a Sr. Technical Support Engineer Customer Support Hardware / Software systems used for encoding and compressing television program material for satellite broadcast and distribution. Customers are programmers (HBO,ESPN, Viacom, Starz!, Discovery, Showtime, etc) TV Broadcasters (CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS,etc.) Telcos (AT&T, Bell Canada, Verizon, etc,) Satellite providers (DirecTV).
Assisting Field Engineers, key stakeholders and end users with on-site and remote diagnostic procedures to isolate equipment malfunctions and determine corrective action required to restore equipment to proper operation.
Participation in technical design reviews and validate approaches for meeting functionality requirements in customer architectures.
Providing input to development team members regarding customer priorities and applications.
Identifying opportunities for product, architecture and service improvements.
Interface with customers, sales and engineering during pre-sale phase of projects.
Preparing technical bulletins and application notes. Gaining a strategic understanding of the customers application, architectural and technical requirements and translate those requirements into system architecture designs.
Engineering network routing and switching architectures for specific applications.
Developing deployment plans for systems. Integration of third party equipment into customer systems. Creating implementation plans, procedures and processes for deploying and configuring end-to-end systems at customer sites.
Creating comprehensive Bills of Materials for customer quotations. Assisting with system installation, upgrade, and service activities at customer sites. Providing on-site training to customer personnel regarding system operation and troubleshooting techniques.
Assisting technical training department in developing training material and documentation.
Position requires occasional rotating on-call telephone support responsibilities and travel.
Please note relocation assistance is not offered with this position.
Experience and Qualifications:
* Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience.
* 5 years of Customer Support of HW/SW systems.
* Hands-on technical experience, in computer and networking skills preferred.
* Technical work experience in satellite distribution, digital cable, telecommunications, video systems, MPEG encoding, data network routing and switching digital video routing, grooming, and transmission, Telco and broadcaster applications desirable.
* Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and identify system-level problems in the signal flow through complex distribution systems such as capture, compression, multiplexing, ad insertion, modulation and monitoring through to the end user.
* Demonstrated ability to ensure customer satisfaction and maintain good working relationships with customers. Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies (Motorola and third-party equipment).
* Experience with Linux, OpenVMS, UNIX, SQL, or Cisco CCNA certification would be an advantage.
* Experience in network engineering, particularly TCP/IP, UDP/IP, Multicast, Network Administration and Troubleshooting.
* Understand PC server architectures, especially the I/O capabilities with respect to SDI input and Gigabit Ethernet and DVB-ASI input and output.
* Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
* Must be willing to travel approximately 25%.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience. * 2 years of Customer Support of HW/SW systems.
As an EOE/AA employer, ARRIS will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicants race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and veteran or disability status.