Sterile Processing Technican II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 11/15/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
(Full-Time, 1st shift)
The Sterile Processing Technician II is responsible for maintaining high standards for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all Ancillary Departments. This includes working in conjunction with the OR staff to provide timely sterile products, trays and case carts where applicable. The Sterile Processing Technician II maintains consistency and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. The Sterile Processing Tech II must be certified, and therefore should demonstrate advanced knowledge of sterilization techniques, surgical instruments, and an in-depth understanding of the Sterile Processing Department s relationship with other departments within the hospital.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Follows Universal Precautions by wearing the appropriate protective attire while working in the Decontamination area.
* Decontaminates surgical instruments and other medical equipment as needed by keeping a continuous flow of equipment moving through the process.
* Utilizes appropriate cleaning detergents and agents by reading directions and MSDS sheets.
* Inspects all instruments for cleanliness, proper function, and breakage by viewing the instruments before assembly.
* Assembles surgical trays and equipment following established tray listings.
* Wraps or pouches items according to size and type of instrument or equipment.
* Challenges the sterilization process by using internal, external and biological monitoring systems appropriately.
* Monitors, reads, documents, and interprets all parameters for all types of sterilizers to insure proper function. (Steam, Eto, Sterrad & Steris)
* Sterilizes instruments and surgical trays by following prescribed policies and procedures upon request.
* Maintains acceptable levels of productivity based on experience, education, and department protocols.
Distribution/Case Carts if applicable
* Distributes all sterile and non-sterile supplies and medical equipment upon request or case cart requisition.
* Orders and puts away supplies & linens upon request, as needed.
* Picks surgical case carts by following established Surgeons Preference Cards or Procedural Pick list / requisition.
* Other essential department responsibilities:
* Assumes charge responsibility in the absence of the Coordinator.
* Identifies and resolves issues and keeps Coordinator informed.
* Problem-solves and troubleshoots when problems arise with instruments or machines.
* Maintains appropriate records such as logs, sterilization records and count sheets.
* Understands and utilizes computers for generating data and requisitioning goods.
* Perform area cleaning by sanitizing workstation at the end of each shift.
* Answers phone in professional, helpful manner by maintaining communication skills appropriate in a professional setting.
* Maintains system and department competencies by attending department meetings, in-services, and annual updates.
* Demonstrates the components of I CARE values statement.
* Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum of two years of Sterile Processing experience required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) Certification through IAHCSMM or CPSPD required. Conversion from CPSPD to IAHCSMM required within 6 months of hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The Sterile Processing Technician II should be able to independently perform the tasks listed on the attached competency checklist.
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of infection control, decontamination and sterilization techniques.
* Intermediate knowledge of logs and computers for the purposes of generating data and requisitioning goods
Ability to operate, troubleshoot, and train new employees on the following equipment:
* Autoclave, steam
* Sterilizer, Sterrad
* Sonic Washer
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.