Substation Electrical Engineer 9/15/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW:
NV5 s Power Delivery business unit currently has an opportunity for a Mid-Level Substation Electrical Engineer in its Arlington, VA office. This position offers the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the design of high voltage transmission and distribution substation projects.
NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) is a provider of professional and technical engineering and consulting solutions to public and private sector clients in the infrastructure, energy, construction, program management and environmental markets. NV5 is an ENR Top 500 firm; we offer a full range of professional services in offices throughout the U.S.
* You will prepare construction drawings and documents for substation projects meeting client and Sebesta requirements.
* Able to fulfill assignments that require independent judgment and evaluation.
* Apply engineering design principles and practices including formulas.
* Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
* Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced designers and engineers.
* Travel to client sites as needed. (less than 25% travel is anticipated)
* Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
* Ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines to provide comprehensive engineering support for projects.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Demonstrated technical writing skills
* Proficiency with MS Office applications.
* Degree Required: 4 year ABET accredited BSEE or equivalent
Valued but not required skills and experience:
* Experience in the high voltage substation design field.
* Documented direct experience with high voltage substation design activities such as preparing one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagram prints and/or physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), bills of material, etc.
* Capable of developing detailed construction documents and drawings based on concepts, verbal direction and/or sketches. .
* Experience with managing documents for large construction projects.
* Ability to interpret and apply standards including IEEE, IEC, NESC, and client standards.
* Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
* Masters in Science or Engineering
* Power Systems Engineering Background
* Knowledge of substation physical equipment
* Familiarity with electrical and civil engineering practices and principles applied to substation design and construction
* Protection and Controls design
* Equipment specifications
* SCADA applications
* Substation Grounding Analysis to include proficiency with CDEGS a plus
* Proficiency in performing relay calculation and studies a plus
* Proficiency with CAPE or Aspen a plus
* Proficiency with CADD
* FE (EIT) certificate with progression toward PE licensure
For us, helping you grow your career at NV5 is good business. Just as our clients require solutions tailored to meet their individual needs, so does our staff. NV5's benefits plan is designed to provide you the choice and flexibility to fit your individual needs.
NV5 offers a complete and competitive benefit package:
401(k) Program Financial Consulting through Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Paid Time Off (PTO) Holiday Pay Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.