Substation Project Engineer - Electrical
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/23/2016
NV5 Company Power Delivery business unit currently has an opportunity for a Substation Electrical Project Engineer for its Washington D.C. office. This position offers the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the design of high voltage transmission and distribution substation projects.
NV5, Inc. nationally-recognized provider of full-service engineering and design services NV5, Inc is an engineering-based consulting firm with an unwavering commitment to quality, reliability, effective communication and value-added solutions. The foundation of our company is built on the relationships we maintain with our clients, business partners, and the community. From start to finish, our goal is to engineer, enhance, and improve built environments that exceed expectations. We promote a culture dedicated to company, to innovation, agility, performance and trust.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
* Responsible for technical delivery of substation engineering design projects under the direction of Sr. team leaders.
* You will prepare construction drawings and documents for high voltage substation projects meeting client standards and requirements.
* Direct/lead small project teams to execute detailed design of medium to extra high voltage electric transmission and distribution substations
* Prepare and/or update one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagrams, physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), and bills of materials including selection and specifications for non-standard equipment and associated calculations to support system design.
* Responsible for providing weekly updates to Sr. team leaders and/or project managers on milestone progress, estimated completion dates including percent completion of activities and supporting information to monitor project progress.
* Support technical response and provide input on hourly estimates for proposal development to include performing site visits for scoping
* Able to fulfill assignments that require independent judgment and evaluation.
* Apply engineering design principles and practices including formulas.
* Able to work with minimal supervision while completing assignments that require independent judgement and evaluation.
* Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced designers and engineers.
* Travel to client sites as needed. (less than 25% travel is anticipated)
* Five (5) or more years of experience in the high voltage substation design field.
* Documented direct experience with high voltage substation design (15kV through 500kV) activities such as preparing one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagrams, physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), and bills of materials including selection of non-standard equipment and writing equipment specifications. etc.
* Knowledge of substation physical equipment
* Knowledge of electrical and civil engineering practices and principles applied to substation design and construction
* Knowledge Protection and Controls design
* Capable of developing detailed construction documents and drawings based on concepts, verbal direction and/or sketches.
* Ability to interpret and apply standards including IEEE, IEC, NESC, and client standards.
* Experience with managing documents for large construction projects.
* Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others (QA/QC)
* Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple assignments under budget and time constraints.
* Demonstrated managerial and leadership skills leading small project teams
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to work and communicate effectively with team members, clients and management teams across different geographical locations and time zones. Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
* Demonstrated technical writing and reporting skills
* Proficiency with MS Office applications.
* Degree Required: 4 year ABET accredited BSEE or equivalent
Valued but not required skills and experience:
* FE certificate with progression toward PE licensure within 1 year
* Masters in Science or Engineering
* Power Systems Engineering Background
* SCADA applications
* Substation Grounding Analysis to include proficiency with CDEGS a plus
* Proficiency in performing relay calculation and studies a plus
* Proficiency with CAPE or Aspen a plus
* Proficiency with CAD software (Microstation and AutoCAD)
* Project scheduling
* Financial management (Project budgets)
* Consulting experience
* Construction experience
* Substation inspection and documentation experience to include quality control during construction.
Compensation: Commensurate with ability and experience
NV5 offers a complete and competitive benefits package:
401k Program Financial Consulting through Morgan Staley Smith Barney
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Employee Assistance Program
NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.