Supervisor Distribution Warehouse (2nd Shift) 8/31/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MilliporeSigma is the North American life science brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany a leading science and technology company. It offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
* Total number of employees supervised (in organization): 25-30
* Number of locations responsible for: 1
* Other items relevant for role: Large facility 500,000 sq. ft
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Supervise the employees and operations of the Distribution Center or Packaging Department, which includes establishing performance standards, monitoring employee performance, and engage in performance management activities. The Supervisor is responsible for adherence with all company operating procedures and government regulations (ISO, GMP, OSHA, DEA, DOT, CFR, IATA, IMO, etc.).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Supervises the department under direction of the department manager.
* Trains employees and maintains corporate quality systems, including ISO registration.
* Participates in talent selection process.
* Engages in performance management and accountability discussions to develop and retain employees.
* Resolves and maintains employee relations through effective communication for the area including, team meetings and daily interaction.
* Applies company and department policies consistently.
* Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to staff.
* Enforces company safety, work and housekeeping standards. Evaluates processes and methods, recommends and implements measures to improve safety. Reviews chemical handling precautions and ensure employees are trained on safe handling of hazardous chemicals
* Responds to emergency situations. Active member of the emergency hazardous materials response team, medical response team or evacuation team
* Addressing unsafe situations and preventing interruption of operations by being an active member of the Chemical Spill Team. May require use of respirator when handling open chemicals.
* Recognize and initiate near miss reports. Complete accident/incident investigation reports within required time
* Conducts audits for compliance to procedures, rules and regulations. Provide feedback for both safe and unsafe actions
* Develops and maintains training documents and SOPs in assigned areas
* Monitor resources daily and schedules workload and staff accordingly for assigned area to maximize safety, quality, and productivity
* Responsible for achieving established safety, quality, delivery, inventory, cost and people goals.
* Distributes and directs work assignments.
* Maintains required documentation including unit records, productivity, and activity reports.
* Monitors labor and materials to control costs. Provides financial justification when recommending equipment purchases.
* Leads, initiates, promote and actively participate in process improvement initiatives and cross functional teams resulting in safety, quality, productivity and cost saving improvements.
* Ensures the correct chemicals are received, stored, packed and shipped to meet customer s expectations and in compliance with all applicable regulations.
* Ensure all packages conform to legal requirements for storage, and shipping of hazardous materials (DOT, CFR, IATA and IMO) as well as corporate and Factory Mutual policies
* Communicates with customers on special requirements and responds to corrective action requests
* Represents department during internal and external audits
* Coordinates with Sales & Marketing, Packaging Engineering, Procurement, Production, Packaging, Distribution, Compliance and Carriers and Freight Forwarders to resolve storage, packaging, shipping and customers concerns.
* Responds to Corrective Action requests (internal and external customers) within designated timeframe.
* Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
Requires a Bachelors degree in Operations, Logistics, Natural Science, Business, or 6 years equivalent work experience accepted.
Requires minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience, with successful completion of Sigma-Aldrich Supervisor Trainee Program. Additional operational experience in a Distribution Center or in Chemical Manufacturing is preferred. SAP and/or Manhattan experience a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
Understanding how to manage, motivate, and develop employees. Excellent time management, planning, organizational and communication (verbal, listening, and written) skills. General knowledge of process improvement techniques and basic change concepts. Ability to train staff on new or existing processes and/or procedures. Knowledge of hazardous storage, and shipping regulations. Problem solving capabilities, able to think quickly and make quick rational decisions in a fast-paced environment. Ability to operate powered material handling equipment. Ability to operate a PC and working knowledge of Microsoft software. Read and write reports and exhibit an understanding of data to help in making decisions.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.