Supervisor, Environmental Services
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 1/17/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
This position exists to provide supervision for housekeeping staff under the direction of the department manager. The incumbent is responsible for task delegation and monitoring of housekeeping operations within assigned areas in an effort to ensure that the service quality meets established department standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
This position does not include any direct patient care activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Follows established methods to identify and respond to customer needs as it relates to the quality of service in assigned areas. Generally includes regular inspections of public areas, restrooms, hallways, conference rooms, elevators, stairwells and offices.
2. Ensures that all chemicals are properly labeled and stored. Ensures that equipment is properly maintained and stored.
3. Submits orders for equipment and supplies according to department guidelines, and educates staff about the proper usage. Provides regular in-service training to keep staff informed about changes to equipment/supply use and process changes.
4. Attends to daily support of staff for guidance in handling difficult and/or unique housekeeping needs. Provides frequent reminders about techniques and quality expectations.
5. Provides scheduling and staff assignment recommendations to management for approval. Manages coverage for unanticipated absences. Coordinates work to allow staff participation in hospital/department sponsored activities.
6. Participates in selection and hiring process for assigned areas.
7. Assesses work performance, provides constructive feedback and training to close performance gaps, and documents performance/conduct discussions in alignment with policy guidelines.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
9. Demonstrates the components of I CARE values statement.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Promptly responds to and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required.
A minimum of 3 years experience in progressively responsible housekeeping services roles with at least 6 months of supervisory experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Membership in any professional Housekeeping, Patient Transportation, and/or Linen Services organization(s) is highly preferred.
This position requires successful annual retraining to insure current knowledge of industry and departmental standards, and consistent quality.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The position requires an annual skill assessment and re-certification for hospital procedure cleaning, including:
Knowledgeable of Housekeeping and Linen Services operations.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Compliance with all hospital policies and procedures.
The quality improvement process to consistently identify and initiate service delivery that exceeds customer expectations.
Creating a strong team spirit with employees, being a role model, exhibiting proper customer service behaviors, and providing positive and constructive feedback to employees, peers, and management.
Understanding future needs of department, growth, market trends, changes in healthcare and the future evolution of the department, and communicating this to the employees.
Leading project teams of varying sizes with diverse membership, assisting teams with their goals, maintaining focus, and managing interpersonal conflicts, and leading teams to a productive and successful outcome.
This position must be able to think clearly under stress and quickly prioritize.
An ADA Activities checklist is incorporated at the end of this document.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Majority of work will be conducted indoors within the main hospital, medical office buildings, and off-site locations. Most assignments will be in hospital units with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns. The following described physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Requires very good health and stamina; constant standing; occasionally lifting (100 lbs.) and regular lifting and moving of patients, equipment, etc. Will be utilizing solvents and detergents associated with hospital grade cleaning chemicals. Will be required to work varied shifts, including some holidays, weekends and nights.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.