Supervisor, House Registered Nurse - Weekends Nights
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/11/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: 26825-48989
The St. David s HealthCare Registered Nurse House Supervisor (HS) supervises Registered Nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses and other non-licensed nursing personnel. As a full partner of the healthcare team, the HS collaborates with all other healthcare disciplines to achieve successful execution of the patient s plan-of-care and goals of the department. The HS serves as a professional role-model and interfaces directly with patients, families, physicians and staff. The HS is responsible for monitoring and coordinating intradepartmental and interdepartmental functioning of the hospital. The HS is responsible for the direction, supervision, coordination, and evaluation of nursing performance and activities related to the care and treatment of patients within the hospital on a specific shift. The HS coordinates the assignments of patients to specific units within the hospital, assigns nursing staff to specific clinical areas within the hospital to meet patient care needs and acts as the official representative of the management and administrative staff of the hospital in their absence.
The HS ensures all supervised nursing care meets the standard of practice. A primary role of the HS is efficient bed management. This is achieved by collaborating with the Charge Nurses, Nursing Supervisors and Managers, Case Management, Physicians and other interdisciplinary team members. The HS demonstrates knowledge of national patient safety goals, hospital core measures, performance improvement processes and service excellence quality initiatives. The HS is knowledgeable of all policies and practices relative to the role and duty performed. The HS demonstrates at minimum, basic computer skills related to the role and care of the patient. The HS presents a professional image and courteous demeanor at all times. The HS works autonomously, sets priorities and makes independent decisions of a complex nature. The HS interfaces directly with the public, physicians, staff, patients, administration and ancillary/support department representatives. The HS ensures the confidentiality of patients medical records. The HS is highly reliable and works as scheduled with minimal exceptions. The HS demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills adequate for performance of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Evaluates, plans, and coordinates staffing activities:
* Assesses personnel needs based on census, acuity, and the special needs of each unit
* Adjusts staffing by reassigning staff, assigning PRN and agency personnel and coordinating overtime
* Communicates and collaborates with unit Charge Nurses, Supervisors and/or Directors to assure appropriate staff coverage
* Prioritizes clinical rounds to evaluate ongoing staff needs, and if necessary, identifies additional measures to provide assistance
* Completes staffing related paperwork completely and accurately
* Facilitates patient through put and patient flow, updates electronic tracker as appropriate.
* Conducts Bed Board Meetings with Unit Charge Nurses/Supervisors on a regular basis to coordinate patient admissions, discharges, transfers, bed availability, and staffing needs
* Responds to all Emergency Codes within the hospital. Communicates with Medical Examiner, Organ Donation agencies, Police and Fire departments
* Promotes, coordinates, and evaluates the delivery of patient care in accordance with Administrative, Personnel and Patient Care policies and procedures:
* Facilitates emergent and scheduled admissions and transfers from other facilities
* Consults with Unit Supervisors/Charge Nurses regarding staff performance and gives feedback as necessary
* Acts as a Clinical Resource regarding complex patient issues and assists staff in clinical decision making
* Serves as a resource and role model in interpreting the policies and procedures
* Interacts with nursing personnel to promote an atmosphere of collaboration between units and departments.
* Participates in the development and promotion of preventive strategies and use of alternatives in determining the needs for restraints.
* Expedites the care of surgical patients after hours by initiating the on call schedule to coordinate OR and Anesthesia staff, when applicable.
* Expedites the care of all patients by acquiring necessary supplies, and nutrition as needed after hours, as applicable.
* Participates in Case Management on off shifts and weekends, as applicable.
* Serves as a representative of Nursing Administration to staff, physicians, patients and other hospital guests:
* Serves as the Administrative resource during the evening, night and weekend when Administrative staff are not immediately available
* Responds to patient complaints and issues and assures appropriate and timely follow through and loop closure. Performs service recovery.
* Physicians concerns and issues. Privileges verification
* Investigates unusual or complex situations and facilitates problem solving answers. Provides accurate, comprehensive, verbal and/or written reports to the appropriate administrator
* Participates in Emergency Preparedness/disasters with regulatory agencies as appropriate.
* Participates in Quality Improvement:
* Identifies trends, patterns and issues necessitating follow-up and resolution
* Assists in quality improvement activities as requested
* Provides input into the formalization, implementation, and evaluation of long and short term goals for the nursing department
* Serves as a Representative of Employee Health Nurse during non-business hours, as needed.
* Provides written documentation for emergency room visits
* Provides procedural information on employee injuries, and accidents to other shift supervisors
* Acts as a resource for employee health issues for unit charge nurses/ supervisors and other hospital supervisors
* Maintains current professional knowledge and skills in accordance with established methods of the department:
* Attends 80% of staff meetings
* Complies with department policies and procedures ie mandatory education, safety and infection control
* Employee s conduct must reflect the Company s values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
* Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
* Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Works autonomously, sets priorities and makes independent decisions of a complex nature. Interfaces directly with public, physicians, staff, patients, and administration and ancillary/support department representatives. Must be able to communicate effectively in complex situations involving various individuals. Must have a thorough knowledge of all policies and procedures in order to make difficult decisions within existing policy. Maintains confidentiality of patients medical records. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Age of patients served: infant to geriatric.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by