Supervisor, Microbiology and Sterility
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/11/2016
END DATE 11/10/2016
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Supervisor coordinates the activities of a team of lab techs and microbiologists to meet the challenge and goals of a particular area. The Supervisor ensures that routine tests requested by SGS clients are performed promptly and in accordance both with established methods and applicable regulations (GMP/GLP/ISO), and according to client s specifications. The Supervisor is expected to be thoroughly knowledgeable in all of the routine microbiology/sterility assurance testing conducted in the laboratory that they oversee. The Supervisor is also expected to assume study director responsibilities for more advanced or specialized studies, and will be asked to participate in the review and approval process of key department documents such as SOPs, protocols, and data forms. Duties also include helping to structure and coordinate staff activities, as well as participating in the hiding and training of new staff members. Overall, the Supervisor's role presents the employee with an opportunity to expand in terms of both technical expertise and customer service skills while simultaneously increasing their management role within the company.
SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES TO CUSTOMERS
* Ensure that all client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given laboratory test area are met in a timely and effective manner.
* Ensure that routine microbiology testing submitted by clients is completed within established parameters governing turnaround time, quality specifications, etc.
* Initiate client contact as needed for clarification on test sample submissions, to ensure accurate processing of samples.
* Schedule testing and manage the time of the technician/microbiologist with their team.
* Notify clients of testing delays or holds to ensure communication regarding turn-around-time for test results.
* Ensure proper reporting of test data.
* Ensure that client requests pertaining to the development and completion of specialized microbiology studies are met in a timely and effective manner.
* Ensure that client complaints are dealt with effectively according to applicable SGS SOPs.
* Play a lead role in departmental and / or company-wide projects designed to improve client services.
* Notify clients of any test failures immediately and ensure swift investigation and final disposition. Must exhibit initiative in meeting individual and departmental deadlines.
* May be required to assist management and QA with client audits or face to face client meetings.
* Ensure testing is performed correctly, in a timely manner, and reported accurately.
* Be capable of assuming study director responsibilities for all routine microbiology studies as well as certain advanced or specialized studies as requested by clients. Duties here include test scheduling, test preparation, proper application of test method(s), data collection, data review, and approval of final report of analysis.
* Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all SOPs pertaining to microbiology/sterility assurance at SGS.
* Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of GMP/GLP/ISO requirements as these pertain to work performed at SGS.
* Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements pertaining to the area they supervise.
* Participate in the review and approval process of department SOPs, protocols, and data forms.
* Investigate out-of-specification results in a timely and effective manner in accordance with applicable SGS Sops.
* Provide complete and thorough review of documentation.
* Properly use LIMS to ensure the test articles are ready for testing and reported in a timely manner.
* Perform any other duties in the laboratory as required.
* Help the Manger to structure and organize the efforts of department staff in all areas related to microbiology/sterility assurance testing (equipment maintenance and calibration, test preparation, test conduct, data review, and reporting).
* Monitor the status of the laboratory, reporting any concerns to department management.
* Schedule and motivate a team of microbiologists and lab techs in a given area.
* Help provide structure training of incoming microbiologists and laboratory technicians.
* Participate as needed in the hiring of new microbiology staff.
* Assure all client complaints are resolved in a timely manner.
* Must act as the leader in the absence of a manager.
* Must serve as a mentor to junior staff.
* Bachelor s Degree in Microbiology, Biological Sciences, or similar discipline (or equivalent in experience or training) required.
* Thorough knowledge of basic microbiology required.
* Previous laboratory experience with emphasis in microbiology and/or sterility assurance required.
* Previous industry experience is required, preferably in a CRO environment.
* Thorough knowledge of industry and regulatory standards.
* Intermediate to advanced math skills required.
* Solid grasp of intermediate to advanced scientific language required.
* Critical thinking skills appropriate for advanced scientific language required.
* Critical thinking skills appropriate for advanced problem-solving activities required.
* Must have intellectual aptitude for analyzing data and drawing conclusions based on current guidelines, SOPs, etc.
* Computer proficiency preferred.
* Must have experience working in a clean room.
* Must be proficient in aseptic techniques, serial dilutions, Gram staining procedures, and a wide variety of lab tasks.
* May be required to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of sterilization equipment.
* May be required to demonstrate proficiency in the microorganism culturing techniques and bacterial identification procedures.
* May be required to demonstrate understanding of USP, AAMI, and ISO and standards relevant to the area they oversee.
* Excellent language and communication skills required. Must be able to clearly communicate priorities and responsibilities on a daily basis.
* Good listening skills essential. Must be able to follow written and verbal directions well.
* Solid leadership skills also essential. Must be capable of leading both by example and through direct instruction. Must be able to build a consensus among a group of individuals. Solid grasp of team-building and teamwork dynamics essential.
* Must be capable of working with persons from diverse backgrounds.
* Good technical writing skills.
* Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
* Job requires mobile use of hands and arms. Must be capable of working at a desk or computer terminal for up to three hours at a time, and for up to eight hours on a given day