This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/13/2016
END DATE 12/4/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Code: 06437-69419
Days (rotating weekends)
DEPARTMENT OF NURSING
TITLE: REGISTERED NURSE: UNIT SUPERVISOR
DEPARTMENT: Department of Nursing
SUPERVISOR: Nurse Director
II. POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the general direction of the Nurse Director, assists with nursing leadership for assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care of assigned area(s). Collaborates with physicians and other departments to meet patient and family needs. Manages resources in a fiscally responsible manner. Supports CRMC s mission in accordance with regulatory standards.
Staff in this job category are responsible for consideration of development issues of patients in each of the following age groups identified.
________Infancy (Birth to 1 year (12) Months)
________Toddlers (1 to 3 Years)
________Preschool (Age 3 to 5 years)
________School Age (Age 5 to 12 years)
___X____Adolescent (Age 12 to 18 years)
___X____Young Adult (Age 18 to 44 years)
___X____Middle Adult (Age 45 to Age 65 years)
___X____Older Adult (Age 65 years and Over)
IV. PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES:
A. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPETENCIES: 30%
1. Ensures that Department mission and objectives are maintained for individual area of responsibility with interpretation of these objectives to the nursing staff when necessary.
2. Ensures that patient care is provided in accordance with accepted standards of practice.
3. Guides, directs and plans the organization and coordination of the Department activities in the area of responsibility with ongoing assessment of the quality and efficiency of these activities.
4. Assures continuity of age appropriate care by use of the nursing process, sound patient assignments and compliance with unit standards.
5. Appropriately adjusts the delivery of care methodology to meet changing volume, patient acuity and available staffing resources.
6. Assists with the selection, orientation and training of staff.
7. Assists with the completion of performance evaluations according to prescribed time frames and maintenance records.
8. Coaches, counsels and makes recommendations for personnel actions.
9. Utilizes disciplinary process as appropriate.
10. Utilizes appropriate communication skills to coordinate care and resolve issues.
11. Assists with establishing and maintaining communication channels with Nurse Director, Nursing Administration, Medical Staff and other departments in the Hospital.
12. Participates in cost containment programs as applicable to individual areas of responsibility.
13. Actively participates in appropriate Departmental and Hospital committees and ensures that all personnel are involved in this process.
14. Assess the need for and assists in implementation of staff development programs to enhance professional growth of personnel.
15. Promotes the development of the staff and assists in the maintenance of skills through goal setting, educational programming, unit based orientation, and annual skills assessment as related to appropriate age group of patient population.
16. Utilizes resources to maintain budget/productivity parameters while maintaining department standards and patient safety.
17. Assists with the management of the environment to meet equipment and supply needs, infection control, comfort/safety standards and patient satisfaction.
18. Supports staff in managing patient care, legal, and accreditation, ethical, moral and change issues.
19. Initiates and utilizes performance improvement principles to improve organizational processes.
B. TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: 30 %
1. Demonstrates a knowledge base grounded in nursing theory and its clinical application.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures utilized in the area of responsibility.
3. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to patients in the area of responsibility.
4. Assists Nurse Director to supervise overall nursing care performance and quality of patient care.
5. Assists the Nurse Director to assure that staff is competent to assess and provide care to the defined patient population.
6. Promotes the development of the staff and assists with maintenance of skills through goal setting, educational programming, unit based orientation and annual skills assessment.
7. Implements operational standards as applicable to areas of responsibility.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of specialized equipment operation to provide for direct care and supervision of others in the safe and effective operation of this equipment in the designated clinical setting.
9. Maintains positive work relationships and contributes to a team environment.
10. Assists the Nurse Director in actively seeking to resolve unit based issues, problems, and concerns.
11. Actively works to meet budget and productivity parameters.
12. Appropriately adjusts the delivery of care methodology to meet changing volume, patient acuity and available staffing resources.
C. INTERACTIVE COMPETENCIES: 15 %
1. Assists the Nurse Director to define and implement ongoing performance improvement for area of responsibility.
2. Demonstrates own professional growth through appropriate organizations, workshops, seminars and other educational endeavors.
3. Demonstrates current awareness of development and trends in nursing practice.
4. Actively participates in Hospital and Departmental committees and group meetings with a focus on providing input regarding improvement of the quality of patient care services.
D. CUSTOMER SERVICE: 25 %
1. Demonstrates interpersonal competencies such as problem solving, negotiation, and conflict management to improve team work.
2. Demonstrates initiative to see processes through to completion and offers assistance without being asked.
3. Consistently responds to requests in a timely manner.
4. Consistently demonstrates courteous and positive behaviors.
5. Ensures that problems/concerns regarding activities in the hospital/departments are communicated.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
A. Current licensure in Texas as a Registered Nurse.
B. Two years clinical experience.
C. Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a related field preferred.
D. Certification in area of specialty if required by the clinical area.
E. Ability to attain and