Surgical Skills Lab Specialist II - Methodist DeBakey Institute for CV Education and Training
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/13/2016
END DATE 1/22/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The surgical skills lab is an educational resource center for practicing cardiovascular healthcare professionals wanting to acquire new skills and/or retool on current skills. The Surgical Skills Lab Specialist will support the function of the facility as well as support educational programs and courses. This position will require the ability to multitask and support various consultant programs, prepare for these programs and manage needs appropriately.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I.Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II.Focuses on patient/customer safety
III.Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV.Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V.Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI.Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
* Effectively communicates with key contacts to obtain information that relates to strategic initiatives as highlighted by the director.
* Assist with 20-40 physician accounts for building and developing healthcare educational programs for the lab.
* Provides administrative and clerical support to the department when needed.
* Serve as a point of contact for assigned educational activities and for faculty, industry representatives, and trainees attending courses offered by DICET in the Methodist Institute for Technology, Innovation & Education (MITIE) lab facility.
* Manages and schedules MITIE technician support staff during DICET educational events.
* Maintains preference cards for lab set ups and cardiovascular physicians.
* Collaborates with faculty to develop lab agendas, layouts and rotation schedules.
* Records and monitors inventory and processes orders for each event.
* Builds models for clients using tissue.
* Responsible for prepping cadavers, animal models and explants for each lab.
* Responsible for monitoring the control of incoming and outgoing shipments for multiple events simultaneously.
* Manages and maintains all DICET laboratory equipment.
* Oversees all cardiovascular research and activities including acute/chronic studies and patient scans.
* Schedules and leads walking and interactive tours of the facility.
* Assists the DICET Skills Academy Project Specialist with other hands-on education course projects as needed.
* Maintains associated paperwork, creates files, and develops effective presentation tools and reports for lab activities.
* Utilizes technology resources to conduct research for assigned projects.
* Manages logistics for courses (lab setup, required equipment, supplies, etc.)
* Works with project specialist to create quotes and invoices for courses and prepare for review by Operations Manager.
* Establishes and tracks lab budgets.
* Exhibits judicious use of departmental resources to maximize budgets for both overall departmental operations and individual courses.
* Participate on committees and task forces as assigned, ensuring that critical objectives are clearly explained and action items are appropriately delegated. Follow up on action items as necessary to ensure completion of assignments.
* Continually demonstrate resourcefulness to maintain efficient operations of a high-volume surgical training center.
* Participates in course and team meetings to provide expertise.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Completion of a Bachelor s degree in science or related health field.
3+ years of workforce experience in a cardiovascular laboratory or clinical environment or 6 (4 week sessions equal to 960 hours of working as a contract employee, intern or volunteering in MITIE.)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
ACLS and ACLS Instructor License; both must be obtained within 90 days of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with physicians, vendors, guest and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
* Ability to manage multiple projects while executing daily operations.
* Goal oriented, self-starter, customer service focused.
* Ability to learn and execute AV and IT needs for each event.
* Basic computer skills and ability to function within the internal LMS and Project Management software.
* Basic knowledge of surgical instruments and equipment including MRI, CT, ZEEGO, ROBOTS and all other equipment for each event.
* Basic medical terminology, suturing skills, and skills on sterilizing equipment.
* Basic knowledge of Surgical Procedures
* Knowledge of human anatomy
* Cardiovascular Surgical Skills preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.