Surgical Technician II 9/16/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: The Surgical Technician II reports to a Nurse Manager. This position is responsible for providing support to a surgeon and other surgical team members by performing direct and indirect tasks which contribute to quality care for patients undergoing surgical procedures.
* Creates and maintains a sterile field. Monitors sterile technique (Surgical Conscience) in all areas of practice. Utilizes equipment, instruments, and supplies for more complex procedures in the services. Provides scrub services for simple procedures in all specialties.
* Scrubs and demonstrates knowledge in all endoscopic procedures/instrumentation and related equipment, such as arthroscopy, gastroscopy, sigmoidoscopy, laparoscopy, mediastinoscopy, broncoscopy. Anticipates needs of surgical team and is able to assist surgeon in holding retractors, sponging of operative site, suctioning of operative site, cutting sutures and draping of surgical patient.
* Reviews preference cards and makes proper selection of appropriate supplies and equipment for surgical procedures assigned. Opens supplies based on knowledge of procedures and determine what supplies can be 'available' and unopened. Provides feedback to RN regarding supplies and equipment to update preference cards.
* Accountable for supplies, equipment and environmental support in a cost-effective manner. Drapes all equipment in a sterile fashion. Identifies specimens for processing by circulating nurse. Counts instruments, sharps, sponges, before, during and after surgery. Assists RN in resolving incorrect counts. Cleans and prepares instruments for sterilization. Removes soiled instruments and equipment.
* Collaborates with the circulating nurse in the implementation of the plan of care for each patient. Recognizes, intervenes and reports situations which impede patient safety. Safeguards the privacy of patients. Maintains confidentiality relating to patients. Aware of patient's rights and legal, moral, and ethical implications of actions.
* Vocational or Technical training in Surgical Technician Program or equivalent military training program required.
* License Certified Surgical Technician required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Operating Room Surgical Technologist for East Campus with both inpatient and outpatient patient population. Wide variety of surgical procedures including General, Gyn, GU, Ortho (TJR, Revisions, Sports Medicine, Oncology) ENT, Plastic (both reconstructive and cosmetic), Cysto and Ophthalmology. Robotic surgery with a variety service specialties. Our perfect candidate will be a solid practitioner who enjoys a dynamic and team oriented environment. Certification Required
As part of an unprecedented organizational initiative, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is now offering up to $3,000 for Surgical Technicians II. Surgical Technicians must have at least one year of professional experience and carry a valid certification through NBSTSA.
Sign On Bonus Amounts:
All Surgical Technicians: $3,000 for full time, $1,500 for part time employees
Bonuses are paid out within the first 30 days of employment and are subject to applicable taxes. Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf