Surgical Technologist I Surgical Services and Heart and Vascular Institute 24005
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Surgical Technologist I (24005)
Surgical Services and Heart and Vascular Institute
* Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse, completion of a Surgical Technology Program, or completion of summer surgical tech extern program.
* Or two (2) years of previous scrub experience will be accepted in lieu of above education.
* High school diploma or equivalent required
* Surgical Technology experience preferred.
* Obtain certification in Basic Life Support within 30 days of hire date.
SUMMARY: Provides intraoperative care to patients by functioning as the scrub person assisting the surgical team during an operative procedure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
:include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1.0 Performs the scrub role during surgical procedures in the Operating Room.
* Utilized quality aseptic technique when working in an unsterile or sterile role in the OR.
* Assists the circulating RN in monitoring technique of all persons in the OR to maintain a sterile field.
* Performs sponge, instrument, and needle counts with the circulating RN following established guidelines.
* Assists by gowning and gloving surgeons and positioning equipment and instruments.
* Passes sterile instruments to the surgical team during a surgical procedure.
* Operates specialty equipment after receiving specific training.
* Assists with transportation and positioning of the patients.
2.0 Process supplies, instruments and equipment used in patient care.
* Prepares supplies and equipment for surgical procedure following preference cards.
* Assists with sterilization and maintenance of sterile and non-sterile supplies and equipment.
* Monitors inventory; orders; and restocks supplies, instruments, and equipment.
* Removes out-of-date items and discards or reprocesses following established guidelines.
* Assists with the general cleaning duties of the department.
* Performs equipment checks as assigned.
3.0 Documents appropriately to foster the work of the department.
* Assists with clerical work, and record keeping duties including the gathering of indicator data such as frequency of events.
* Prepares and updates preference cards and instrument tray lists as directed.
* Assists with the proper recording of patient charges.
4.0 Other related duties or projects as assigned.
* Unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) may have limited access to medications including during transport of non-controlled substances at the request of a licensed care provider.
* Call with a response time of 30 minutes.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD : Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Capable of prolonged periods of standing and walking.
* Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and push/pull heavy loaded carts.
* Possess visual, hearing, and oral acuity along with manual dexterity and technical ability.
* Able to wear lead for extended period of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.