- This company is committed to hiring veterans.
Sustainment Engineer-Off Site Representative
REPORTS TO: Sustainment Engineering Manager
SUPERVISES: Designers and Engineers
AUTHORITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for representing Austal Engineering as the Technical Authority through all phases of the ship's availability (planning and execution).
* The Off Site Rep will be responsible for providing resolutions to technical issues from Condition Found Reports, answering technical questions generated during the availability and approving deck plate changes while supporting post-delivery activities related to the assigned task.,
* Insure that the Installing Activities work is in accordance with drawing, technically in compliance with the requirements and will report any unapproved deviation or noncompliant issues to the PDSS representative.
* Provide deck plate guidance to the PDSS and Government Representatives.
* Document all deviation from the provide guidance or requirements
* Responsible for insuring timely and accurate communication between Engineering, PDSS, Government Representatives and the Installing Activities.
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
* Minimum of 10 years of shipyard design or marine construction experience.
* Bachelor degree in an engineering discipline.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Understanding of scheduling and an ability to adhere to strict deadlines
* Experienced in interacting with Production, multiple design teams from several companies, customer representatives and equipment manufacturers.
* Computer literate and familiar with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
* Knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, HSNC, NVR, USCG, IMO, etc.)
* Experience in the construction of high speed aluminum vessels is advantageous but not a requirement
* Knowledge of modular construction methods is advantageous but not a requirement.
* Knowledge of :
* Vessel structural design
* Pipe and propulsion systems
* Power distribution
* Joiner construction
* USPH requirements
TOOLS: Computer - MS Office, AutoCAD
DIRECTION EXERCISED: May lead and direct the work of Engineers and Designers
LIAISES WITH: Engineers, Production Personnel, Customer, Regulatory Bodies, Program Management and Equipment Suppliers
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
1 Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
2 Perform prolonged standing.
3 Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
4 Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
5 Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
6 Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
7 Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
8 Ability to work at heights above 12' while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
9 Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
10 Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
11 Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
12 Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
13 Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
14 Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
15 Ability to enter 18 x 36 openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
16 Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
17 Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
18 Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
19 Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.
SAFETY: Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.
* The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance may be required if deemed necessary in the scope of your position responsibilities.
* Candidates must be willing to travel and work off site for extended periods of time (up to 50%).
* Candidates must meet the following employment eligibility guidelines to be eligible for employment with Austal USA:
* 18 years of age or older at time of application.
* Able to provide proof of US Person Status
* Willing to submit to a drug screen
* Willing to submit to a background check
* No felony convictions of Theft/Deception or Violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
* No felony convictions of Drug crimes within three years from disposition date