To plan and implement Linux/Unix computer-based administrative, curricular and research applications spanning a wide range of centralized and distributed servers.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
* A solid understanding of the Linux Operating System in a networked/distributed computing environment, including distributed file system and installation of applications.
* Strong interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills.
* Ability to interact positively with peers and upper management.
* Ability to solve problems quickly and completely with minimal supervision.
* Ability to program in an administrative language.
* Ability to identify tasks which require automation and automate them.
* Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
* Six or more years of computing experience with at least four years of Linux system administration experience.
* Programming experience in any applicable language.
* Bachelor s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Degree in a science, mathematics or engineering discipline preferred.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
DEPARTMENT CONTACT FOR COVER LETTER
Ty Peavey, Associate Director of Systems Administration & Operations
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
4 Currier Place, Suite 201, Hanover, NH 03755
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Linux System Administration Support
* Administers centralized and distributed servers with responsibility for hardware, software, operating system, network interface, file system and application software. Duties include software and hardware installation, maintenance and upgrades. (cross-platform experience with Windows is a plus)
* Works with Administrative and Academic Computing professionals to identify and develop applications to support College initiatives.
* Evaluates new hardware and software for Dartmouth s computing infrastructure. Makes recommendations and writes purchase justifications.
* Provides support to faculty, staff and students on the use of College systems in administrative, research and instructional computing.
* Establishes and maintains relationships with vendors and other academic institutions to find, acquire, install, and maintain system software and applications. Reports system software and hardware problems to vendors and works with vendors to resolve them.
* Provides training to others as needed relating to areas of responsibility and expertise.
* On call 24*7 for emergency service of designated critical systems
* Insures system changes are planned and implemented in a manner to insure minimal impact to production services, working non-business hours as required.
* Designs and implements appropriate, multi-layered security mechanism to safeguard data from unauthorized access and ensure system integrity.
* Maintains current level of knowledge by attending conferences, workshops, and courses pertaining to areas of expertise with emphasis on System Administration.
* Develops understanding of similarities and differences in diverse cultures through employee education programs. Communicates respectfully to a diverse community.
Performs other duties as assigned