This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/22/2016
END DATE 10/22/2016
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Advanced Undersea Systems and Technology Group develops innovative undersea and undersea-enabled capabilities for transition to operational systems of the U.S. Navy and other Department of Defense (DoD) sponsors. Focus areas include acoustic and nonacoustic sensors, undersea networks, autonomous systems, and advanced signal processing algorithms. The group performs rigorous systems analyses, develops system architectures, and builds prototypes to demonstrate the viability and effectiveness of new concepts, capabilities, and processing techniques. In addition, the group provides undersea domain and technology expertise to inform and motivate novel cross-domain concept development.
Systems Administrator (IT Level II) Responsibilities include:
• Administer GNU/Linux desktop/server environments, including Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Centos distributions
• Administer Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh desktop environments, including Win 7 and OS X
• Support installation, maintenance, repair and upgrade of computer and network equipment
• Review and test new hardware and software applications, and make recommendations for purchases
• Design and implement shell scripts and other tools to automate processes and provide needed capabilities to technical staff
• Contribute to projects to improve aspects of the computing and network infrastructure: data storage, backups and recovery, network bandwidth and throughput, application installation and management
• Support design and implement configuration management and monitoring of systems and networks
• Collaborate with other personnel within the organization to enhance technology and support practices
• Maintain regular contact with MIT LL IT and security resources and to rapidly reconfigure systems to report and remediate performance and security issues
• Bachelor Degree in Business Management, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
• Minimum three (3) years of experience with Linux systems administration including configuration management, software installation/configuration (packages and building from source), network configuration, kernel configuration and installation
• Three (3) years of experience supporting and troubleshooting Windows workstations and applications in a networked environment
• Three plus (3+) years supporting, configuring, and maintaining VMware or related technology
Candidate must be able to demonstrate a proven track record with all of these abilities to be considered:
• Experience with automated installation and management systems for Linux, ie Kickstart and Satellite
• Experience using modern declarative configuration management tools such as Puppet
• Experience installing and managing network services such as DNS, DHCP, NFS, SSH, SAMBA
• Experience installing and configuring firewalls, routers and switches
• Ability to understand and modify moderately complex shell scripts using redirection, pipes, variables, loops, and conditional statements
• Self-motivated, and able to demonmstrate an attitude of ownership and a desire to learn
• Effective customer service skills, communication skills, and a positive attitude
• Effective written and verbal communication is essential
• Attention to detail, comprehensive problem and troubleshooting solving skills
• Ability to work well under pressure and within time constraints
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work
MIT Lincoln Laboratory is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information; U.S. citizenship is required.