Systems Engineer 8/24/2016
Des Moines, IA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Competent to work on simple to fairly complex system program analysis and system programming assignments. Responsible for systems analysis with a focus on internal standards, coding, testing, security and documentation. Assist in determining specifications and develops, assist, modifies and expands new and existing system programs. Must have decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
the Systems Engineer must be competent to work on simple to fairly complex system program analysis and system programming assignments. Responsible for systems analysis with a focus on internal standards, coding, testing, security and documentation. Assist in determining specifications and develops, assist, modifies and expands new and existing system programs. Must have decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
II. Essential Job Functions
Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
Design and Development
- Works independently on routine assignments. Receives instructions and guidance on more complex assignments.
- With moderate guidance, develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new or modifying existing software applications.
- Creates and assists application design for projects that lead to development of new or improved products.
- Participates in application design meetings, conducts code reviews and conducts unit testing.
- Reviews source code to assure quality and precision of work.
- Maintains the coding standards set forth for the application development groups.
- Develops high quality well-documented system codes using various languages (i.e. JAVA, XML, etc.) based on specification developed in conjunction with application experts from other departments within the company.
- Prepares logic diagrams needed in problem analysis.
- Develops common operations which can be reused.
Monitoring and reviewing technology and industry direction
- Assists Senior Staff members in providing both high level and detailed technical design documentation for development projects for use by other engineers and departments within the development organization.
- Acts as a technical consultant to other departments (i.e., user interface design standards, security of technology method, etc.) on emerging technical system issues.
Developing and maintaining Enterprise Architecture
- Assist in defining principles, standards and processes that comprise the Enterprise Architecture model.
- Monitoring Corporate objectives to understand the business drivers.
- Learns user functions, organization and role in the enterprise to the extent required.
- Analyses and evaluates existing and proposed application architecture and system components utilizing approved processes and systems.
- Assists the Senior & Lead Systems Engineers in the technical evaluation of new Information Technology products or services.
Upholds the enterprise guidelines established by Senior Staff members..
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent education and experience.
Minimum 3 years of experience with technology architectures and systems programming and analysis experience, with some familiarity in relational databases. Must have knowledge in systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Must have general knowledge of the systems development lifecycle.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must have the ability to analyze applications and systems.
Must be able to program systems requiring interfaces.
Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems.
Strong and good decision-making skills.
% Travel Required (Approximate):