Systems Engineer, Unix
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
Research Triangle Park, NC
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
As an Unix Systems Engineer you are part of a 24/7 infrastructure operations team that is responsible for incident resolution; requests for service; problem investigation, management, and resolution; and proactive maintenance in pursuit of extremely high uptime and rapid return to service. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to understand and address customer needs and react quickly to support and operations issues.
The Command Center Operations group is part of NetApp s IT function and is responsible for a wide range of foundational and infrastructure technical expertise. As a part of a team, you will provide skills in the Unix and Linux technologies to support the overall objectives of the team.
- Provide technical expertise in Unix/Linux as part of a cross-functional operations and support team during assigned shift. Work independently and collaboratively to handle incident tickets, speak with end-users, work on problem tickets, perform proactive maintenance, and resolve critical operations issues rapidly and effectively.
- Update all tickets using established procedures to ensure issues are well-documented, stakeholders are informed, and issue resolutions are clear and repeatable.
- Follow operational guidelines, including high-level ITIL service operations processes and specific procedures like hardware decommissioning and escalations.
- Perform root cause investigation, problem diagnosis, and implement corrective actions.
- Work directly with end-users and other IT support teams to ensure high levels of end-user and customer satisfaction.
- Report to users, process owners, and management on status, resources needs, and projected outcomes.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and understanding how to utilize them in an operations environment.
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently with competing deadlines.
- Willingness to work shifts, some of which are off hours or on weekends or on holidays.
Technical Skill Requirements:
- Significant experience managing and administering Unix Operating systems (RHEL 5/6/7, Solaris 9/10, and AIX 6.x)
- Knowledge of Virtualization technologies, including Solaris containers, VMWare, AIX LPARs, HyperV, or KVM
- Strong access management and security skills, including reviewing, troubleshooting, and administering sudo, ACLs, and other host-based permissions
- Fundamental knowledge on DNS, DHCP, SMTP, LDAP, NIS, and NTP and how to manage, administer, and configure core services
- Basic understanding of networking and protocols, including TCP/IP, NFS, SSH, SCP, FTP
- Should be able to look at the error logs and config files to isolate server-level issues and collaborate with peers to restore service
- Knowledge on how to list, stop, restart, and troubleshoot server processes
- Basic shell scripting knowledge to collect the data from logs, filter the outputs, and analyze the results
- Experience using tools like vmstat, prstat, and top to generate data, interpret results, and recommend solutions to performance issues
- Experience working with commercial performance and system monitoring tools like Tivoli, Zenoss, or Splunk and understanding the performance reports and alerts triggered
Education and Experience
Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience is required; 6 to 8 years of experience is preferred
- An Associate s degree in Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other related field is required; or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, moderately complex technical tasks
Full time / Part time
USA - North Carolina - Research Triangle Park
NetApp is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. NetApp? makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.