Systems Programming Manager-UPS Freight
Systems Programming Manager
Are you looking to launch your Information Technology career? If so, then UPS is the place for you!
Once known as a trucking company, UPS is now recognized as a technology company with trucks and is poised for success. Spending more than $1 billion a year on information technology, UPS provides its customers unparalleled capability in tracking and distribution intelligence. This technological infrastructure also enables UPS to provide fully integrated Web-enabled, business-to-business solutions.
UPS Information Services, a leader in information technology, is currently seeking career-minded individuals to join our team. If you are highly motivated with a degree in Computer Science or related discipline, then UPS is a great place for you to advance your career.
The Systems Programming Manager leads the team in performing research, analysis, evaluation, capacity, planning, design, development, configuration, testing, operational maintenance, protection, and support of Information Services' (I.S.) assets (e.g., mainframe, midrange, open systems and x86 architectures, storage, mobile and fixed devices, etc.) and hardware and software infrastructures (e.g., operating systems, transaction, collaboration, communication protocol, identity management services, etc.). He/She researches and communicates new and emerging technologies and influences systems architecture design and development. This position influences the use of industry best practices and available standards, methods, tools, and applications. He/She analyzes, diagnoses, designs, plans, executes, and evaluates operational metrics (i.e., work-to-time, cost, and quality). This position identifies and implements technologies and processes to improve the reliability, efficiency, and availability of the systems environment. He/She performs strategic planning, diagnoses risk and system issues, and takes corrective actions to ensure continuity of operations.
The Systems Programming Manager conducts regular staff evaluations, provides coaching and counseling, and is recognized as a thought leader.
Leads Service Design and Transition Management
* Drafts, maintains, and implements policies, standards, and procedures to manage service component capacity.
* Reviews service level agreement (SLAs) details to identify capacity and performance issues and to specify required changes.
* Oversees the maintenance of assets service compliance to meet business and regulatory requirements.
* Conducts reviews of software and hardware warranties to manage and optimize maintenance contracts.
* Maintains knowledge of software license usage rights to administer and maintain compliance effectively.
* Creates monitoring strategies and leads infrastructure systems and components planning, design, and improvement to ensure system availability and to meet business needs and quality standards.
* Creates and manages plans, processes, and testing for infrastructure systems and components disaster recovery to ensure reliable and effective backup and restoration procedures.
* Manages configuration activities to verify requirements and instructions are complete, current, and accurate.
* Oversees investigation and implementation of tools, techniques, and processes to manage configurations and to create efficiencies.
* Manages the analysis of business requirements to convert into a forecast and budget plan for applications.
* Interacts with business units and develops an understanding of requirements to provide optimal support for their environments.
* Tracks budget plan-to-actuals to identify variances and tuning opportunities.
* Improves productivity and maximizes return-on-investment to minimize hardware and software costs.
Leads and Influences Design and Development of Infrastructure Systems
* Participates in large and complex systems designs to meet business needs.
* Recommends, documents, and manages design standards, methods, and tools to ensure consistency and to meet enterprise and infrastructure architectures standards.
* Evaluates and recommends technical solutions to ensure appropriate technologies, efficient use of resources, and integration of multiple systems and technologies.
* Evaluates, initiates, and assesses major design options impact analyses to manage associated risks.
* Leads project teams to introduce new and replacement systems and technical solutions to the business environment.
* Establishes technical responsibility for software development process stages to guide analyses, designs, coding, and testing.
* Challenges requirements to optimize systems delivery and to add value.
* Evaluates current application authentication and authorization models to ensure consistency with industry best practices.
* Makes recommendations regarding methods, procedures, and documentation of the research, evaluation, development, and testing to ensure direction and objectives are maintained and compliant with strategic plans.
* Oversees development of cost-effective technical solutions to maximize return-on-investment and to minimize hardware and software costs.
Influences and Leads Problem Management
* Investigates, resolves incidents and problems with systems, performance, and services and develops reports to summarize findings.
* Compiles incident and problem documentation to meet reporting requirements.
* Leads and manages team resources to provide appropriate support coverage.
* Manages vendor support agreements, resources, and cases to ensure timely resolution of problems.
* Identifies technical alternatives and makes recommendations to address problems.
* Manages problem-solving and root cause analyses to ensure timely resolution of distribution problems.
Demonstrates Technical Services Team Leadership
* Manages, reviews, analyzes, and creates documentation, presentations, and reports (e.g., status reports, Appian Weekly report, labor report, etc.) to meet stakeholder needs and to ensure compliance with operational level agreements & SLA requirements.
* Participates in internal and external audits to ensure compliancy with different audit and compliance organizations.
* Develops business plans at the workgroup level for infrastructure and labor costs (i.e., software and hardware) to facilitate departmental budget management.
* Prepares project plans, estimates costs, and assigns work to staff to ensure quality and efficiencies.
* Manages and assigns resources to deliver business objectives.
* Ensures implementation of infrastructure plans, projects, and programs to support business needs.
* Ensures operational environment is configured to meet applications needs.
* Participates in strategy and roadmap development to ensure and improve operational environment and infrastructure services and to present findings.
* Manages contracts and relationships to maximize value, creation, and costs for infrastructure licensing, maintenance, and service offerings.
Manages and Develops Others
* Manages resources and people to ensure the day to day administration of processes and formal procedures.
* Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, conferences, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
* Ensures that direct and indirect reports have documented career goals and detailed plans for achieving these goals to develop them personally and professionally.
* Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and encourage continuous performance improvement.
* Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with UPS s policies and procedures in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
Primary Skill: Linux System