TECHNICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT II / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH - HEMATOLOGY
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/21/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the general supervision of the investigator, performs complex cell culture and laboratory experiments in the field of Platelet and Megakaryocyte Biology. As experiments proceed, determines necessary adjustments in design and implements these changes after consultation with investigator.
Specific Area of Research: Megakaryocyte/Platelet Biology - molecular and cellular biology
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Isolate megakaryocytes and platelets needed for experiments.
2. Under the general supervision of the investigator, performs complex laboratory experiments in the field of cell biology including: cell culture, ELISA, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, general biochemistry, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, and microscopy.
3. Performs general laboratory animal work including: sterile technique, megakaryocyte isolation, bone marrow isolation, xenograft implantation and injection, tumor growth measurement, and tissue preparation.
4. Consults with the investigator as experiments proceed, and with approval, implements necessary adjustments in experimental design.
5. Records, reviews, and analyzes test results. Assesses quality of data and repeats tests as necessary to determine reproducibility of results.
6. Assembles data in useful format for presentation to the investigator, including normalizing and graphing results, presents data during divisional seminars.
7. Performs literature searches and helps to prepare presentations and written articles for publication, prepares literature for journal club presentations.
8. Performs cell culture and maintains laboratory cell stocks.
9. Prepares and determines suitability of solutions, reagents, buffers, and cell culture media.
10. Maintains and periodically updates lab databases.
11. Performs routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
12. Orders laboratory supplies as necessary within budgetary limits.
13. Ensures compliance with institutional and federal guidelines in health, safety and animal work.
1. Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in biological/physical science
2. One year of experience in a directly related research setting post graduation.
1. Ability to work well with others in an open laboratory environment
2. Ability to exercise sound judgment with respect to laboratory safety
3. Ability to learn and perform a variety of laboratory procedures including: cell culture, sterile technique, ELISA, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, general biochemistry, tissue histopathology, flow cytometry, and microscopy
4. Ability to learn and perform basic handling of laboratory mice
5. Knowledge of guidelines for ethical research practice and conduct
6. Ability to assess quality of data and to trouble-shoot technical challenges
7. Ability to perform experiments and represent data in detailed, thorough and precise manner
8. Resourcefulness and initiative
9. Visual acuity and manual dexterity
10. Ability to concentrate
11. High degree of computer literacy
12. Good oral and written communication skills
Laboratory environment, occasionally works with toxic chemicals, biohazards, and substances emitting unpleasant odors.
Might assist in the training and orientation of new staff.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C.I will Communicate my commitment to high quality performance
A.I will Appear and act as a professional
R.I will Respect all individuals
E.I will Extend myself