TESOL Online Course Instructor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 10/28/2016
University of California - Irvine
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY TESOL ONLINE COURSE INSTRUCTOR
* Division of Continuing Education - Education & Business
Open date: August 19th, 2016
Last review date: September 18th, 2016
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled. Final date: August 19th, 2017
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Online teaching positions are now available in the fully online TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate Program. We are seeking qualified part-time instructors, with current knowledge of effective learning and training methodologies and teaching experience in the field, who can create a dynamic, interactive and engaging learning experience for adult students in a nurturing and supportive online environment.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
* Complete the mandatory UCI Continuing Education instructor orientations and training requirements by the established deadlines
* Develop and/or update course curricula and associated syllabi, as assigned, in consultation with the UCI Continuing Education TESOL Program Manager and in accordance with the Division of Continuing Education s quality standards
* Develop and deliver innovative lesson plans utilizing a broad-range of proven, evidence-based teaching practices
* Develop online course materials, activities and learning assessments to reinforce student learning, monitor progress, evaluate performance, and provide regular feedback
* Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an "as needed" basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the pool of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to develop and teach the following courses as early as winter quarter (beginning January 2017).
* Master s degree or higher from an accredited institution in TESOL, ESL, or Applied Linguistics with a TESOL/TESL emphasis
* Current knowledge of and demonstrated competency in the subject matter resulting from a minimum of 3 years of experience teaching adult ELL/ESL/TESOL courses face-to-face in classroom or online
* Excellent communication (both oral and written) and presentation skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information with confidence
* Highly effective interpersonal skills
* Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
* Adaptable teaching style, along with the flexible application of a range of instructional techniques and strategies, to address varied student needs, aptitudes and learning styles
* Demonstrated respect and acceptance for diversity in all its forms
* Online teaching experience
Course Description: Teaching Reading and Vocabulary Skills
LINGUIS_X480.4 (5-week course=15 hours of instruction)
In the often daunting task of acquiring a second language, there is a true feeling of empowerment to be had in making meaning from the written word. Learn the skills required to become an effective reader and
techniques that can be used to help English language learners develop reading comprehension and fluency. Examine the types of vocabulary that ESL/EFL students need to learn and consider the strategies that can be used to enhance your learners receptive and productive use of English vocabulary.
Course Description: Teaching Writing and Vocabulary Skills
LINGUIS_X480.6 (5-week course=15 hours of instruction)
A crucial avenue of self-expression is the written word. Examine strategies that can be employed to teach writing in a way that fosters communication and nurtures self-expression. Components of effective writing academically, professionally and socially will be identified, along with the use of writing as a means of developing other language skills. Techniques in evaluating student writing will be presented and applied to real-life situations. This course will also continue the exploration of vocabulary
development by considering what independent learning skills language students need to cultivate in order to acquire the vocabulary they need.
Course Description: Teaching in Adult Education Programs
LINGUIS_X480.8 (3-week course=9 hours of instruction)
Examine teaching techniques and material resources best utilized to meet the needs of adult language learners. Consider the unique needs of adult learners and challenges of the open-entry/open-exit learning environment. California State Standards for adult learners will be presented, and you will learn about teacher responsibilities in local adult education programs. Texts and material resources appropriate to meet State Standards will also be evaluated.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF03684
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Instructor Biographical History - Please complete the biographical history form by clicking this link: http://ce.uci.edu/pdfs/forms/dce-instructor-application.pdf Upload the completed form here as an attachment.
3 references required (contact information only).