TRAUMA NURSE PRACTIONER
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Details:
The Trauma Advanced Practitioner provides nursing and medical services to assigned patients according to the Scope of Practice for Nurse Practitioners as identified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners OR as a Physician Assistant provides primary health care and performs selective medical services under the direction of the Trauma Medical Director. In addition to diagnosing and managing acute and chronic illnesses, the Trauma Advanced Practitioner emphasizes health promotion and disease prevention; orders, conducts and interprets diagnostic and laboratory tests, and prescribes pharmacologic agents and nonpharmacological therapies.
PRINCIPAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently demonstrates our core values.
2. *Performs and documents medical history and physical examinations on patients; establishes presumptive diagnosis, which are to be countersigned by the responsible physician; reviews patient records.
3. *Completes tertiary assessment on all newly diagnosed trauma patients; s physicians to any changes in findings.
4. *Makes complete chart entries on patient transaction, writes orders and records progress notes, which will be reviewed and countersigned by the responsible physician within 24 hours.
5. *Available for consultative visits with the patient and their family; serves as a resource person to the staff and physician; recommends changes in plan of care to facilitate optimum patient outcome.
6. *Interprets and integrates data to determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as needed; s physician to test results requiring attention.
7. *Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures; keeps physician informed of changes requiring intervention.
8. *Synthesizes data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan utilizing principles of prevention.
9. *Sutures wounds; assists with other procedures as directed by physician.
10. *Prepares and completes patient discharge summaries of patient hospital care within 24 hours of dismissal; has summaries cosigned by the responsible physician.
11. *Participates in code traumas; makes rounds with trauma surgeon on a daily basis and as called upon within current scope of professional practice.
12. *Completes follow up communication with sending/attending physician.
13. *Triages patients and other referral center(s) telephone calls and provides consultation; may request consultation at the direction of the sponsoring physicians.
14. *Provides monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits.
15. *Complies with CLIA and OSHA clinical safety practices as well as administrative and facility regulations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Current Registered Nurse licensure from the State of Nebraska or approved compact state of residence as defined by the Nebraska Nurse Practice Act required. Master of Science degree in Nursing with current Advanced Practice Registered Nurse licensure from the State of Nebraska required. Certification with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration for prescriptive authority required within 2 months of hire. Certification as Adult Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner preferred. Prior trauma, surgery, adult, or family practice experience preferred.
Graduate degree from a Physician's Assistant program required. Current licensure as a Physician Assistant required. Completion of Bryan credentialing and re-credentialing process required for employment. Certification with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration for prescriptive authority required within 2 months of hire. Integrated practice agreement with the Medical Director for Trauma as required by Nebraska State law is mandatory. Prior trauma, surgery, adult, or family practice experience preferred.
OTHER CREDENTIALS / CERTIFICATIONS:
Basic Life Support (CPR) certification, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) certification required within one year of hire.
Bryan Health is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, marital, disability and/or veteran status. Bryan Health hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.