Tax Director - State Planning & Research
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY
We are seeking a seasoned state tax professional with experience in all facets of a state tax cycle. Primary responsibilities include overseeing the filing of multistate income, sales and use, and franchise tax returns, and managing all related state taxing authority examinations. This position will also be responsible for researching state tax issues and legislative changes, analyzing the impacts to the Company and making appropriate recommendations. Other responsibilities will include supporting and collaborating on tax software initiatives and tax accounting and reporting issues related to state taxes . Qualified candidate will possess excellent communication skills with an ability to identify operational efficiency opportunities and manage change. This high visibility role will have exposure to Tax senior leadership and opportunities to collaborate with business partners on state tax issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Leads all related functions associated with the tax return preparation, review and taxing authority examinations for all multistate income, sales and use, and franchise taxes, including all tax payments.
2. Lead and direct filing of all state tax returns, utilizing Corptax software and maximizing efficiencies.
3. Recommends all filing positions and strategy, defends positions on audits, manages state tax planning objectives and communicates results to Management.
4. Leads the identification and management of various state tax issues, including state transfer pricing, determining the nature and complexity of the issue and scope of research.
5. Provides governance and oversight with information reporting obligations of the Company.
6. Partners with tax teams to drive operational improvements and meet organizational objectives.
7. Leads inter-department discussions and influences business and IT stakeholders.
8. Delivers professional and timely services to internal and external customers.
9. Stays abreast and educates others of trends and developments within the multistate tax arena.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
1. Strong technical expertise in multistate tax laws and theory. Application to property and casualty insurance is a plus.
2. Strong demonstrated ability and experience in managing state taxing authority examinations.
3. Strong demonstrated ability and experience in successfully identifying, structuring and implementing strategic multistate initiatives.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate state tax issues in a simplified manner.
5. Working knowledge of C-Corporation taxation in general. Exposure to insurance taxation is a plus.
6. Working knowledge of Accounting Standard Codification Topic 740 (ASC 740). Exposure to Statement of Statutory Accounting Principle 101 (SSAP 101) is a plus.
7. Strong demonstrated ability to manage and influence others, both directly and indirectly and to work effectively across cross functional teams.
8. Strong critical thinking and decision making skills.
9. Effective leadership model for other tax professionals to emulate.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. Minimum of ten years of public accounting or industry state tax experience. Insurance experience is a plus.
2. Bachelors degree in accounting. Master of Science in Taxation degree is a plus.
3. Certified Public Accountant designation.
Job: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: FIN Ctax (Corporate Tax)
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.