Technical Coord-Flow Cytometry
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 10/10/2016
Sonora Quest Laboratories
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position will work at our laboratory inside BANNER UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER in TUCSON, AZ
Performs all essential functions of Flow Cytometry Technologist as defined by the department. This position is responsible for clinical flow cytometry testing with a focus on leukemia/lymphoma profiles. Provides general operational oversight of area of responsibility under the direction of the Supervisor or Technical Director. Provides advanced practical and theoretical skills as required to perform, evaluate, and determine the reliability of test results or procedures. All under the direction of the Supervisor, is responsible for compliance with regulatory and accrediting agency requirements (e.g., CLIA '88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA). Serves as a role model and mentor for teamwork and positive colleague interaction. Demonstrates highly developed analytical skills and comprehensive technical knowledge. Serves as a Laboratory Sciences of Arizona/Sonora Quest Laboratories (LSA/SQL) System and department resource.
1. Processing specimens and performing all testing procedures in the clinical flow cytometry section of the laboratory, including immunodeficiency panels, leukemia/lymphoma panels, single surface marker panels ,and PNH testing.
2. Performs all duties of Flow Cytometry Technologist as defined by the department, at a high level of competency. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and application of theory and clinical relevance of Flow Cytometry. Demonstrates ability to identify abnormal cell populations, understands general immunophenotypic results, and knows how to proceed in variant situations. Responsible for operational leadership and workflow oversight to the section/shift. Integrates comprehensive technical knowledge and clinical relevance into daily activity for the department. Responsible for complex problem solving of technical, computer, interdepartmental, and quality issues. Under the direction of the Supervisor and/or Technical Director, responsible for implementation of system technical initiatives in their area of responsibility. Provides on site supervision (determines schedules, manage day to day work flow and give input into an assessment or disciplinary action) in the absence of section supervisor. Monitors and ensures compliance with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements for the laboratory. Actively participates in preparation for on-site accrediting process.
3. Focuses on quality by reviewing records and assuring performance of all quality control and assurance procedures. Ensures that quality control and instrumentation maintenance records are kept and documentation meets standards of accrediting and licensing agencies. Assists the Supervisor, Administrative and Technical Directors, and Technical Specialist, in the implementation of new QC/QA polices and continuous quality improvement programs in accordance with the Quality System. Active in department and LSA/SQL System quality assurance activities.
4. Monitors, recognizes opportunities for improvement, and participates in improving the financial performance of the department and the LSA/SQL System. Assists, as requested with cost analysis models.
5. Assists with basic personnel oversight including participation in selection, training, developing, and providing coaching under the direction of the Supervisor or appropriate Director. Assists in new employee orientation, training and competency. Provides input for competency and annual assessments for employees in appropriate time frames. Actively involved in implementing and ensuring staff completion of competency program requirements. Self directed and motivated to seek out opportunities to contribute to projects to help the department. Coordinates and is active in at least two special projects per year within the department or LSA/SQL System, along with other miscellaneous department duties.
6. Serves as a resource communication liaison for on-site, and System issues. Provides access to other System resources when appropriate. Works closely with on-site management to integrate the area into other activities on-site. Interacts with co-workers with an emphasis on teamwork and a focus on customer service.
* A Bachelor's degree in a chemical or biological science, with Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS (United States certification - ASCP or equivalent) certification, and 3 years applicable laboratory experience, OR
* Bachelor's degree in a chemical or biological science, with MLS or specialty (ASCP or equivalent) certification, with 1 year on-site experience as a Medical Lab Scientistwith exceptional skills, highly developed interpersonal skills, a minimum Overall Performance Rating of a 3 and have no ratings below a 3 in any area of their most recent performance review, and passing of on-site competency/criteria as defined by the department.
* MLS (HEW) certified technologist will be considered equivalent to BS, MLS (ASCP).
3-5 yrs current experience in Flow Cytometric analysis of multi-color leukocyte subset enumeration, quantitation of cell surface antigen expression, and leukemia/lymphoma immunophenotyping (hematological malignancies)
QCYM (qualification in Cytometry from ASCP) certification.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.