Technical Project Manager, Systems Engineering
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
The American Institutes for Research
JOB DESCRIPTIONBe part of something innovative and cutting edge. Join our team of more than a hundred software and system engineers, UI designers, project managers and software specialists who are smart, creative, and excited by what they do.
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry.
Some of our groundbreaking work includes:
* Building resilient internet-scale application clouds using Microsoft technologies (Windows Server, IIS, SQL Server, and .NET)
* Utilizing cutting-edge configuration management automation tools to provision and deploy applications to large numbers of servers
* Utilizing advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that's peer-approved in the country)
* Creating mobile support for user interfaces
* Creating learning management systems with social media features
* Creating user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with and without disabilities
* Creating innovative, machine-scorable items
As a result of our continued growth, we are currently seeking a Technical Project Manager for our Systems Engineering team in Washington, D.C. This team is responsible for the implementation, configuration, and availability of over 200 Microsoft web and database servers in a managed hosting environment. The system engineering team is responsible for the design, implementation, management, and maintenance of software and hardware systems in the hosting environment, including both business-line and public-facing applications.
The Technical Project Manager, Systems Engineering will be primarily responsible for the following:
* Acting as a liaison between the Systems Engineering team, the Project Management team, and the Software Engineering team on all issues including: system design, system analysis, server provisioning, software deployment, software performance, system reliability, and maintenance
* Developing requirements, budgets, and schedules for the Systems Engineering Team in coordination with the software engineering teams
* Assisting in establishing standard processes for diagnosing issues, tracking statuses, and escalating issues within and outside of the group
* Assisting in establishing product and process improvement plans to reduce support effort and increase product availability and scalability
* Facilitating requirements meetings, including peer review sessions and status meetings with clients and the Project Management team
* Establishing milestones, anticipating issues, and monitoring adherence to project scope, requirements and design documents, schedules, and the software development process
* Assuming day-to-day responsibility for ensuring that a project is completed on time and within budget and that all deliverables are of the highest quality
* Working closely with the Project Management team to share best practices, help resolve project issues, and ensure that staff is properly allocated to tasks, taking into consideration each staff member's skills and interests and each project's needs
* Maintaining client relations and communications, including status reporting and informal conversations
* Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Public Administration, Business Management or a related field
* 2+ years of project management experience
* Experience in applying best practices in project management, including those used to initiate, plan, control, monitor, and report upon all phases of project activity
* Familiarity with project management tools such as Microsoft Project or BaseCamp and one or more versioning tools such as CVS, SVN, Mercurial, and Git
* Experience with managing technical projects in a large, complex web-hosting environment
* Knowledge of IT concepts, issues, practices, methodologies, and trends, particularly those relevant to the design of large-scale web hosting environments
Coordination of security related initiatives between the development teams, the system engineering team, and Rackspace"
* Knowledge of network devices and protocols used in web hosting environments, including load balancers and firewalls
* Knowledge and familiarity with network operating systems such as Windows Server, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS Server
* Experience with three-tier web hosting architecture: interface, application, and data
* Ability to understand and analyze complex issues and information relating to database management
* Excellent documentation and communication skills; must be proactive, detail-oriented, and team-oriented
* Must have an aptitude for learning new software