Technical Sales Engineer
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Responsible for following up on pricing quotations to meet sales goals and for providing technical assistance to existing customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Sales engineer will have frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and also frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance. Initially, Sales engineer will confer with the Marketing Manager on issues of priority, appropriateness, and the Company's image in such situations. Decisions regarding expenditure of funds to promote sales and support sales travel will be weighed against suitability and probable future return.
* Under direction where definite short-term objectives are set up. Sales engineer plans and arranges own work, referring to Marketing Manager as needed.
* Focus while in the zone of opportunity is a requirement. Trade show booth operation is expensive and highly leveraged; full participation to extract the maximum benefit from the event is critical. A minimum of two sales calls per day while otherwise travelling is required.
* High order of analytical, interpretative, and/or constructive thinking in varied situations.
* Extensive contacts within the electric power industry wherein, the contacts are of extreme importance and failure to exercise proper judgment can lead to substantial losses to the organization.
* Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work.
* Works with assigned sales representatives to produce product pricing quotations as requested.
* Contacts with other departments or offices and also frequently with individuals in middle level positions; consulting on problems which necessitate judgment and tact in presentation to obtain cooperation or approval of action to be taken.
* Follows up with customers on a daily basis and negotiates pricing on all quotations to procure new business.
* Plan effective sales travel, coordinate with sales agents, create desire through presentations, trade event participation, and direct communication with prospects and customers.
* Write trip reports which include market intelligence and strategies.
* Plan and participate in regional utility technical trade events. This includes presenting technical papers or case studies, product sales presentations, and serving on committees.
* Participate in trial installations, document with pictures and notes for future use in marketing material, technical papers, and product development.
* Become expert on common equipment types where PRS products are used. This includes circuit breakers and large power transformers with Load Tap changers (LTCs)
* Be a consumer of technical literature in the substation equipment realm; develop expert knowledge to become well-rounded in technical issues of electric utilities.
* Maintain records of customer communication including project status, budgets, and utility happenings affecting product sales.
* Develop rolling sales forecasts based on industry knowledge developed from all sources.
* Documents and lists all pricing quotations for manager review and follow-up.
* Assists in analyzing the product marketplace and submits sales strategies in order to increase market share.
* Schedules and provides sales training for sales representatives as requested.
* Submits sales literature and product technical information to the customer or representative as required.
* Assists in the planning and attendance in technical sales conferences.
* Assists all customers in installing and implementing assigned products, including field installation supervision.
* Provides product technical assistance for all customers as requested.
* Documents and assists in the return of products for repair.
* Provides technical assistance and/or input needed for product improvements.
* Assists in all sales strategy as requested by the sales manager on a monthly basis.
* Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Excellent writing skills and organization required. Strong public speaking ability required. The ability to effectively present information to top management, industry groups, and engineers. Candidate must be gregarious, confident, entrepreneurial, personable, energetic, and helpful.
* Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, ohms law, phasors, three-phase power, fundamentals of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
* Ability to find opportunity and create alliances, be quick thinking, and have the ability to respond to changing circumstances. Long-term sales development requires patience and perseverance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering (preferred) or other engineering degree (required).
* 5 years minimum experience successfully selling technical products to electric utilities (preferred). Experience with substation equipment, field testing equipment, or system protection is preferred. Prior experience as an electrician is a plus. Mechanical and electrical aptitude; practical experience in fabrication and repairs; experience with tools, and technical hobbies are a plus.
* Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
* EXPERT: Presentation/PowerPoint, PREZI, MS Word/Typing, Outlook.
* INTERMEDIATE: Contact Management, Spreadsheet, CAD.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
* Member IEEE PES (preferred).
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/ Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
Now Hiring! Apply for this opportunity online through the details link below: