This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 11/2/2016
Electronic Consulting Services
Silver Spring, MD
JOB DESCRIPTIONECS Federal, LLC (ECS) is seeking a Technical/Scientific Writer to work in our Silver Spring, MD office.
ECS Federal, LLC (ECS) has an immediate opening for a Technical/Scientific Writer to support the NOAA Fisheries Office of Science and Technology s Fisheries Statistics Division. The physical location of this Office is in Silver Spring, MD.
Background: NOAA Fisheries Office of Science and Technology (ST) promotes and ensures the sound scientific basis for NOAA Fisheries science programs and resource conservation and management decisions. The Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP) focuses on collecting, analyzing, and reporting recreational fishing data. MRIP was initiated by NOAA Fisheries as a state-federal collaborative working with the interstate fisheries commissions and other relevant agencies to reassess and redesign how recreational data are collected, analyzed, and used. MRIP is the new way NOAA Fisheries is collecting, analyzing and reporting recreational fishing data. MRIP is comprised of a number of teams and regional partners that work together to ensure that the data collected through MRIP surveys are held to the highest standard. One of these teams, the MRIP Communication and Education Team (CET) carries out strategic communications to ensure partners and stakeholders are engaged in the survey redesign processes and help build national and regional-level awareness and support for the program.
The NOAA Fisheries Office of Science and Technology requires technical and scientific writing support to assist with documenting data collection methods, survey sampling and estimation methods, survey data, and internal control processes as well as writing and updating program planning documents, including the MRIP Implementation Plan. In addition, technical and scientific writing support is also needed to contribute to the preparation of various communications products and user documentation for the MRIP CET including in-reach and outreach materials, talking points, instruction materials, presentations, 3 things memos, rollouts, and tech memos.
* Provide technical and scientific writing support for project planning and progress reporting to produce high-quality documentation.
* Provide technical writing support for documenting survey methods and survey data.
* Facilitate development of program planning documents and reporting of program accomplishments.
* Document fishery statistics surveys and processes.
* Distill complex information into clear, concise text.
* Write clear concise policies and procedures.
* Explain scientific and technical ideas in simple language.
* Create and compose technical communications products and user documentation
* Collaborate with experts to clearly and concisely write detailed descriptions of survey designs, data collection protocols, and procedures for probability sampling, quality assurance, quality control, and statistical estimation.
* Bachelor s degree in technical writing, environmental science, biology, survey statistics, or a related field. Graduate degree in technical writing, environmental science, biology, survey statistics or a related field preferred. Degree (or background) in fisheries science is a plus.
* Ability to understand complex business rules and translate into documented processes and procedures.
* Ability to distill and explain scientific and technical ideas in simple language.
* Proven working experience in technical writing and documentation.
* Excellent writing and grammar skills.
* Ability to speak and write fluently in English.
* Ensure technical verbiage is easy to understand.
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, delivering accurate documentation under deadline pressure.
* Ability to edit, proofread, and publish.
* Good interpersonal skills.
* Organized and process oriented with an attention to detail.
* Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
* Experience developing and writing communication and outreach materials.
* Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with expert mathematical statisticians, survey statisticians, fisheries scientists, and information technology specialists
* Knowledge of fisheries.
* Knowledge of surveys and survey statistics.
* Strong problem solving skills.
* Aptitude for complex, analytical work with an attention to detail.
ECS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, state and local laws. ECS also maintains a drug-free workplace.
ECS is a leading mid-sized provider of technology services to the United States Federal Government. We are focused on people, values and purpose. Every day, our 1400+ employees focus on providing their technical talent to support the Federal Agencies and Departments of the US Government to serve, protect and defend the American People.
ECS Federal provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, state and local laws. ECS Federal also maintains a drug-free workplace.