Technologist, Cytogenetic II (FT, Mon-Fri, weekend rotation) Marlborough, MA
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 10/10/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Journey Begins with you.
There's quite a distance between wondering and knowing. And for patients waiting for answers to important health questions, it's a road they want to travel as quickly as possible.
At Quest Diagnostics Incorporated, we understand urgency. But more than speed, we focus our energies on accuracy. Currently, we seek a Technologist, Cytogenetic II (FT, Mon-Fri, weekend rotation) Marlborough, MA.
Schedule: Monday Friday, 9:30am 6pm, weekends once a month, Day shift
*Salary dependent upon experience*
REQ # 3763810
Under direction of laboratory supervisor/manager/director, incumbent is responsible for efficient and accurate performance of difficult/complex cytogenetics laboratory testing, following established policies and procedures. This is the third level of a four-level job family.
1. If job assignment includes tissue culture: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently performs tissue culture of assigned specimen types, including culture initiation, maintenance, and harvest. Also performs slide preparation and staining for microscopic analysis.
2. If job assignment includes microscopic analysis: Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards, applying additional staining/testing procedures when indicated, and preparing karyotypes using established cytogenetics laboratory procedures.
3. If job assignment includes fluorescence in situ hybridization: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently processes assigned specimen types, including slide preparation, pretreatment, hybridization, postwash, and counterstain for microscopic analysis using appropriate quality control standards. Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity and quality control standards.
4. Is responsible for the more difficult/complex laboratory testing activities and review of work of other technologists.
5. Documents and maintains tissue culture and/or microscopy analysis records completely and accurately. Documents chromosome or FISH abnormalities using correct ISCN nomenclature and best assessment of breakpoints.
6. Ensures accurate specimen processing/test results by strict adherence to testing methodology and quality standards
7. Possesses appropriate computer skills (AI, PC, CCAPS, Tandem, etc) to accomplish tasks.
8. Participates in quality assurance, quality control, and quality improvement programs.
9. Assists the supervisor in developing/validating new procedures in order to improve quality, efficiency, or accuracy. Participates in research, development, and implementation of new testing methodologies/modifications.
10. Participates in training of technologists and other laboratory personnel, including visiting students and fellows, as needed. Participates in modifying training checklists to reflect current laboratory procedures.
11. Qualifies as a substitute supervisor, and may act in this capacity if the supervisor is not available.
12. Attends departmental meetings, as appropriate, and participates in the department's continuing education program.
12. Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional, and sanitary condition.
13. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements.
14. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
15. Performs other job-related duties as assigned by competent authority. Physical Demands Microscopic analysis requires extended periods of sitting at a microscope. Tissue culture requires extended periods of standing, sitting at a biohazard hood, or pipetting.
1. BS/BA or related degree in science .
2.Minimum of 4 years of previous cytogenetics experience (3 years as a cytogenetics technologist) or equivalent in a clinical cytogenetics laboratory.
3. NCA certification. [All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Sound theoretical and operational knowledge of job assignment(s) in cytogenetics.
Proven problem solving skills for job assignment(s).
The ability to effectively plan, organize, and complete work assignments.
Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
Good written and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge of organization/departmental policies and procedures.
Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
Required to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals. Requires manual dexterity and excellent pattern recognition skills.
How To Apply
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact candidates to be interviewed
Quest Diagnostics has many career opportunities for individuals whose talent, initiative and dedication will complement our belief that the patient comes first and that values do matter. We work to earn our customers trust every day by providing the highest quality diagnostic information services in a professional, accessible and informative way. Our workforce is diverse and talented and believes in our vision: "Empowering Better Health with Diagnostic Insights."
[All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.]
Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.