Test Automation Engineering Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/6/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONOur client is seeking a Senior Test Automation Engineering Manager whowill be responsible to manage a team of test automation engineers who deliver automated tests across several different software teams. Leveraging strong knowledge of technology and business domains, he/she will help create and nurture a team of first class Quality engineers who deliver high-value automated tests.
"U.S. CITIZENS AND THOSE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S. ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. OUR CLIENT IS UNABLE TO SPONSOR AT THIS TIME."
The role will:
- be responsible to recruit and maintain a team of test automation engineers with a mix of full-time, contractors as well as college-hires
- serve as a direct manager of FTE automated test engineers. Address their onboarding, performance, career goals and growth through a mix of appropriate assignments, work review, coaching and training
- serve as manager of remote/on-site consultant automated test engineers. Address their onboarding, performance, and effective engagement on teams
- be responsible to keep up-to-date with the latest open source automated testing tools and technologies so as to serve as an expert. Be aware of vendor-alternatives to address spaces where open source toolset does not provide sufficient coverage
- be responsible to clearly communicate automated test strategy to the automation engineers as well as other stakeholders. Serve as an evangelist for Quality engineering. Clearly communicate the benefits, costs and limitations of test automation
- be responsible to setup and setup reporting of KPIs for the automated test team, and take action on the data
- be responsible to monitor the execution of automated tests via Continuous Integration (CI) tools and work with the appropriate teams to restore broken test runs
- be responsible to ensure teams keep the % of broken automated tests consistently low
- Managerial competence, which supports team organization and management
- Day-to-day management of 8-10 test automation engineers in a matrix organization
- Supervision of contractors or offshore engineers as part of extended team
- Understands STS engineering best practices and coaches team to effectively apply them
- Reviews technology stack in use by project teams and reviews for fit with automated test tools in use
- Engages with architects, development managers and leads and other leaders to update automated test tooling and practices
- Uses a combination of internal and external training resources to keep team abreast of the technologies selected for test automation
- Applies metrics to monitor performance of teams in test automation practices, and pushes for demonstrable continuous improvement
-Technical competence, which supports Automated Testing
- STRONG HANDS-ON KNOWLEDGE IN TECHNICAL AREAS INCLUDING ATDD, CUCUMBER, GHERKIN, JAVA, SELENIUM, TESTNG, JUNIT, RESTASSURED AND/OR SIMILAR TOOLS
- STRONG EXPERIENCE WITH ACCEPTANCE DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT (ATDD) OR BEHAVIOR DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT (BDD) APPROACHES TO DEVELOPING AND TESTING SOFTWARE
- EXPERIENCE WITH CUCUMBER/GHERKIN LANGUAGE TO SPECIFY SCENARIOS, OR ALTERNATE TOOLS IN THE SAME SPACE SUCH AS BEHAT, WATIR ETC.
- Experience with business domains such as eCommerce, digital publishing etc.
- High level of expertise with technical domains including Java, SOA, REST API, Selenium, Relational and NoSQL Databases, Git, Jenkins, SumoLogic (or similar), SauceLabs (or similar)
- Familiar with Cloud technologies such as AWS
- Familiar with overseeing testing SAAS-delivered applications
- Able to drive code reviews and improvements in test automation code across technology stack
-Other competence, which supports Quality
- Strong adherent to Agile principles in letter as well as in spirit. Knows and follows Agile convention, but importantly internalizes and evangelizes the Agile spirit
- Strong communicator - able to work closely with counterparts to understand product needs and select the right people and technologies to create and maintain automated tests
- Understands the importance of metrics in the modern software organization and supports the automated generation of such metrics as an outcome of normal work. Observes patterns in the metrics and takes appropriate action
- Can enforce process and best practices to team members as well as teams that engage automated test resources
Location - New York, NY
Type - Permanent