Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: Transcribes patient information and reports from dictated recordings by physicians and other healthcare professionals into accurate electronic medical reports, correspondence, and other documents
* Transcribes/types reports, correspondence or other medical documents from dictation system into hospital clinical computing system. Verifies and enters all patient information in the proper areas of the report.
* Provides constant attention to detail in transcribing and proofreading medical documents for accurate grammar and clarity. Sends completed reports to designated recipients. Adheres to transcription quotas and timelines established by the department.
* Answers phones and fulfills requests from internal and external clients. Conveys and communicates routine information to clients (patients, physicians, colleagues and external clientele).
* High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Transcription/Secretarial preferred.
* 3-5 years related work experience required.
* 1 or more years working knowledge of medical terminology
* Type 50 wpm or more
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Completion of post-high school training in medical terminology and transcription techniques
* Good organization, communication and problem-solving skills.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
The Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology Division of the Department of Pathology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center are responsible for providing diagnostic services to a wide variety of physicians and patients. Pathologists play a key role in determining the diagnosis of patient specimens by reviewing the cellular changes under the microscope.
Patient specimens come to us from inpatient operating rooms, outpatient physician offices, private physician offices and community health centers.
Over 100,000 cases in surgical pathology and cytology are sent to us each year for examination and diagnosis. Pathologists representing a wide variety of specialties, e.g., breast, lung, prostate, skin, etc. provide high quality, timely diagnoses to physicians and their patients. This enables patients to begin treatment quickly if needed.
Pathology is one of the most important medical disciplines for the diagnosis and treatment of medical diseases and disorders.
This is a fulltime 32 hours per week on days/evening shift from 3.00pm to 10.00pm Monday to Friday. There is some flexibility around the shift hours. The position will be located at the Main Campus.
The ideal candidate will have - In depth medical terminology knowledge, fast and accurate transcription skills, "visual transcription" skills and assist with other duties including scanning and assembling requisitions.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf