Transplant Practice Specialist -Clinical
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY: The Clinical Transplant Practice Specialist works closely with all members of the Transplant Team to coordinate medical appointments and ancillary testing for each patient throughout all phases of care. The position works with AdminTransplant Practice Specialists to ensure that appointments are scheduled properly and works with the Managed Care Coordinator to ensure that referrals and pre-authorizations are in place. The Clinical Transplant Practice Specialist is an important member of the team as the primary contact for patients.
* Coordinates patient appointments, information flow, administrative support, communication throughout the patient experience. Ensures efficient patient flow through clinic; greets patients in the waiting room, escorts them to the appropriate consult/exam room, and takes and records vital signs and frailty assessment.
* Directs incoming phone calls to the appropriate team member. Provides and coordinates information to ensure seamless transfer of patient information to the appropriate team member.
* Collects and enters patient data into electronic medical record. Schedules clinical testing and enters standard lab orders per protocol for each patient type.
* Maintains open communication and relationships with all patients and families. Ensures that education materials including consents are available for new patients. Responds to basic patient questions and escalates more detailed questions to the nurse coordinator.
* Performs or coordinates a range of administrative support duties including printing and mailing patient letters, scanning medical records, filing, faxing, and communicating with outside facilities to obtain records/lab results. Maintains exam rooms and clinic supplies.
* Vocational or Technical training required. Associate's degree preferred.
* Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required.
* 3-5 years related work experience required in a medical or healthcare setting.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Prior work experience in a large, complex environment with the ability to function in a fast-paced setting while managing competing demands effectively.
* Knowledge of standard medical office practices and procedures including appointment scheduling, telephone skills and interactions with clinicians on a one-to-one and group basis.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
The Transplant Institute provides care to patients requiring a liver, kidney or pancreas transplant, live kidney and liver donors, patients requiring dialysis access and patients who need hepatobiliary surgery. The Transplant Practice Specialist works closely with an assigned team including Nurse Coordinators, Financial Coordinator, Social Workers and Doctors to coordinate all aspects of patient care. The position rooms patients in clinic, takes/enters vital signs into computer record, maintains exam rooms and supply closets, prepares education binders for new patients and patient orientation sessions and coordinates medical and ancillary testing appointments. The Transplant Specialist is an important member of the team with direct patient contact. This is one of three positions who work together to support all services within the Transplant Program. The environment is fast paced which requires strong attention to detail, strong communication skills via computer, phone and face to face and the ability to independently multi-task a diverse array of responsibilities. Medical Assistant certification required
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf