Transportation Operations Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Metals & Mining Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION: TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS MANAGE
LOCATION: CHICAGO ILL
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF LOGISTICS
A leading 700M mining company with operations in the US and Canada.
Transportation occurs via rail, truck, and barge shipments. The Transportation Operations Manager will support the logistics team in ensuring product is moved to support customer demand in the most cost-effective and efficient manner possible. The Transportation Operations Manager will own a piece of our transportationportfolio and have responsibility for managing operations, setting strategy, and looking for ways to continuously improve their piece of the portfolio.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Manager will own a portion of transportationportfolio and will support the Director of Logistics in driving continuous improvement and strategy efforts across the supply chain. The ideal candidate for this position would have experience in management consulting and/or transportation logistics and good negotiation skills.
* Manages and ensures compliance with transportation plan. Works to ensure high level of service quality from our vendors at the lowest possible cost
* Monitors vendor performance and generates reports and action plans to drive continuous improvement in both performance and cost
* Manages bid process for all lanes and carrier selection, negotiates with vendors to support improved pricing for operations
* Manage Modal Assets - Supports coordination of third-party asset deployments to support logistics needs
* Maintain data for respective mode (freight rates, fuel surcharges, asset costs, cycle times, etc); ensure invoicing process runs smoothly
* Monitors transportation demurrage and looks for ways to reduce these charges
* Scope and planquantitative analyses that will yield answers to the questions at hand. Understand the required data sets to complete the analyses and procure them accordingly. Deliver timely, zero-defect execution of analyses, with minimal support. Leverage Excel and otherquantitative tools for the analytical "heavy lifting".
* Assist with logistics department's strategic initiatives, including detailing the opportunity, organizing/participating in cross-functional teams, and proposing and managing timely analyses with predetermined milestones. The desired result is a well-supported solution with specific recommendations that will enable the team to make critical go/no go decisions.
* Must be comfortable taking projects from start to finish with appropriate status reporting, getting buy-in from the necessary parties, holding team members accountable and looping in manager when needed.
* Focus on identifying opportunities to improve efficiency and reduce costs across the supply chain network.
* Bachelor's Degree; focus in business, economics, finance, accounting, transportation, supply-chain or logistics preferred but not required
* 2-4years work experience is ideal although candidates of otherexperience levels will be considered
* Experience in management consulting, finance, or supply-chain / logistics preferred
* Candidate must possess strong operational skills but also have the ability to think strategically
* Candidate must have strong negotiation skills as he or she will regularly negotiate contracts with vendors
* Excel expertise required (along with full complement of MS Office tools)
* Experience executing in enterprise systems such as JD Edwards preferred
* Excellent communication and problem solving skills
* Must be well organized with an ability to handle multiple projects with concurrent delivery dates
* Self-motivated, entrepreneurial, high-energy
COMP IS BETWEEN 90-125K