Triage RN 8/21/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The triage nurse is a licensed registered nurse who participates in the plan of care to provide competent, compassionate and individualized nursing care to patients under the direction of a physician or nurse practitioner. The RN also facilitates safe and efficient practice operations.
Acts as a liaison to provide and ensure continuity of care for the patient and family.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Triage phone calls from sick patients, collecting all pertinent information regarding symptoms and acuity, to enable physicians to develop a plan of care.
* Provides clear, accurate, and timely documentation of all patient contact. Collects specimens in clinic and instructs patient about specimen collection at home, as applicable
* Performs other tests, procedures, and treatments within the RN scope of practice.
* Assists with patient education by setting up special Equipment if needed (nebulizer machine, suction machines)
* Provides teaching to patients on proper use of medications.
* Administers medications/vaccines within the parameters defined by the Department of Nursing after successful orientation.
* Place PPD skin tests and read the results in a timely manner.
* Perform oximetry and vital signs when appropriate.
* Conducts follow-up appointments for patients on INH treatment.
* Collects data and medical records to assist the physician or nurse practitioner with the plan of care as appropriate
* Electronically send, fax and/or call in prescriptions for medications Implement and set up home care companies to deliver oxygen, nebulizers, CPAP, etc. to patients.
* Assists provider in coordinating care with / making referrals to community agencies and primary care practices
* Provide guidance and assistance when needed to medical assistants completing prior authorizations for pulmonary medications.
* Performs designated tasks to track test results and communicate results to patients for physician, if appropriate.
* Provides and maintains a therapeutic environment for patients and families Communicates the plan of care and other pertinent information to / from other team members Works with the clinical director and practice manager to define standards of excellence for patient care
* Participates in and contributes to performance improvement activities Assures efficient patient flow through the office
* Responds to needs to expedite visits and keep on schedule Participates in orientation of new permanent and temporary staff members May be asked to cover other rn positions in the department Teaches and directs other clinical support staff for whom she / he is responsible
* Appropriately utilizes equipment and supplies Provides input to supervisor regarding practice needs
* Participates in practice and other committees for formulation of practice policies & procedures
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills.
* Participates in relevant continuing education programs Adheres to regulatory requirements for annual training
Knowledge, skills and ability to assess patient/family needs Ability to maintain effective working relationships with patients/families and staff Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills Skills in supportive counseling and care coordination
Current licensure as a registered nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in Nursing strongly preferred. Minimum of Associate's degree required.
EXPERIENCE:2-3 Years of nursing experience
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.