Truck Driver (Mid-Shift)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 12/2/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONMilliporeSigma is the North American life science brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany a leading science and technology company. It offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
This is a Mid-shift position - 10:00 am to 6:30 pm Monday thru Friday - with a 3% shift differential.
The job site for this role is based out of our Port Washington distribution center, with truck driving duties to our Milwaukee and Sheboygan Falls facilities.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This position fills the need to perform transportation operations and assist in warehousing. It provides for safe, timely transportation of chemicals, components and equipment between Sigma-Aldrich facilities on public roadways. This position is directly responsible for ensuring Sigma-Aldrich compliance with DOT regulations. It also provides support for outside customer support and performs multiple warehouse functions at various sites as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Performs daily pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections and completes associated paperwork to maintain DOT compliance.
* Accurate and timely maintenance of driver logs to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local, and company regulations are met.
* Ensure vehicle is kept neat, clean, and all vehicle defects are documented and reported.
* Drive vehicle on public roads, transporting a wide range of hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals, components and equipment without accidents or violations.
* Determine route and schedule itinerary for material pick-ups and deliveries. Alternate routes as needed to meet unexpected road conditions and business needs.
* Prioritize and inspect material prior to loading. Visually inspect load for compliance, visible damage and stability. Secure as needed by wrapping, strapping and/or palletizing. Verify documentation and packaging on outgoing material for Hazmat compliance, placarding, labeling, and shipping paper accuracy. Accept/reject and/or correct discrepancies.
* Safely load/unload vehicles with appropriate material handling equipment. Insure proper (legal) placement of material/equipment on vehicle i.e. Oxidizers minimum four feet from flammables etc. and secure with straps and/or load bars to prevent spills, movement, and damage to material or equipment being transported.
* Ensure complete documentation accompanies all material offered for transport.
* Deliver and retrieve material to/from designated staging area(s) using appropriate material handling equipment.
* Maintain integrity of material tracking and inventory by updating the appropriate systems.
* Label, stack and/or palletize materials as need for stability and securement. Convey material to proper staging area for cooler, freezer, room temp and flammable storage.
* Transport material and equipment to/from various staging, production and storage areas.
* Put material/equipment away in various storage areas according to product lines, storage requirements, and written or verbal instructions using the appropriate material handling equipment
* Pull material as indicated by pull/move ticket. Prepare material for movement and transport. This may include shrink wrapping, labeling and accurately verifying shipping papers for compliance.
* Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
* Exemplary attendance and adherence to schedule
* HS Diploma or equivalent (GED)
* Class ABC Commercial Drivers License w/Hazmat endorsements, and air brake restriction lifted HAZMAT, EAP and drug and alcohol certification
* Current valid DOT medical examiners certificate
* Must have strong knowledge of DOT regulations
* 1 year 80,000 GVW truck driving experience
Essential and Critical Skills:
DOT rules and regulations, CDL requirements, HAZMAT regulations, MSDS, Chemical spill procedures, and product caution class information. Operation of powered and manual material handling equipment. Proper load securement techniques and equirements. Proper lifting techniques. Warehouse location logic. Inventory tracking (SAP) operation. Incident free operation of vans and other company vehicles. Safe, smooth operation of a wide range of material handling equipment. Injury free movement of heavy bulk containers and supplies. Data entry and updating via computer, and written truck logs. Effective communications skills.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS:
Drivers: Must have Class A CDL and be certified to carry HAZMAT.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.