Ultrasound Technologist I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The Ultrasound Technologist I completes a variety of routine diagnostic Ultrasound procedures to include common and special Ultrasound exams of moderate complexity. Provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic / special procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to Ultrasound exam standards and guidelines established by Imaging agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. The Technologist is a member of the direct patient care team. Note: some duties and responsibilities may not be applicable or expected to a lesser degree for PRN status employees; evidenced with an * at the end of the item.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation. Please include % breakout of tasks/essential functions.
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
1.Performs diagnostic Ultrasound procedures to include common and special Ultrasound exams. Ultrasound exams use high-frequency sound waves
2.Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various Ultrasound imaging concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes.
* Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
1.Follows imaging and Ultrasound safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient protective gear and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies.
2.Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
* Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed.
* Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
* Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
1.Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities*.
2.Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of a CAAHEP (Commission of Accreditated Allied Health Programs) approved Ultrasound Program or successful completion of ARDMS Registry exam
0 years, with one year experience as an Ultrasound Technologist highly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* At least 1 of the following credentials:
* American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- OB),
* American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- AB),
* * American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- BR), Breast (BR) credential earned prior to June 30, 2010 will be accepted as referenced in ACR guidelines
* American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Sonography (ARRT (S))
* NOTE: If functioning solely as a Breast Ultrasound Tech then either one of the above credentials or American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- BR), or Breast (BR) credential earned prior to June 30, 2010 will be accepted as referenced in ACR guidelines; must obtain American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography- Breast (ARDMS- BR) registry by the end of the month following 18 months of hire/transfer date if does not already have
* American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
To perform the Essential Functions of the Job
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
* Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
* Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
* Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.