Underwriter I, II, Sr.
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/21/2016
END DATE 11/24/2016
National General Insurance Company
Winston Salem, NC
This position is responsible for evaluation of the Commercial product from an underwriting perspective and utilizing data from PS&S, Pricing, and Marketing to grow the Commercial Auto business profitably. This position will have involvement and responsibility for Specialty lines growth and profitability. This position will make decisions for risk acceptability of certain types of business.
* Makes sound underwriting decisions and judgments on complex risks, situations and questions.
* Performs risk reviews and makes underwriting decisions on risk acceptability (new business, renewals, endorsements, reinstatements). Point of contact for all exceptions (agents, sups, TSM, Pricing, Marketing, Etc.).
* Works collaboratively with Regional Sales Managers and other Commercial Product Managers and Analyst to accomplish their growth and profit objectives.
* Develops and analyzes both internal and external data in order to direct pricing, underwriting, and sales decisions. Understands the market - develops knowledge base of issues related to CV, Specialty department, agency plant, enterprise and industry. Maintains comprehensive knowledge of the GMACI CV product
* Proactively identifies opportunities for growth as well as exposures for improved classifications, retention or other re-underwriting action. Also identifies improvements for product and/or automation/technology.
* Analyze the quality of assigned books of business through agent and profile reviews, audits, and on-going communication with Pricing, Marketing, and PS&S.
* Build and maintain relationships (internally with sales/pricing and externally with key agencies) that support and improve agency effectiveness
* Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience.
* 1 or more years of underwriting experience. 2 or more years of insurance experience.
* Ability to establish and maintain agency relationships and able to assist in leveraging business opportunities for other divisions.
* Demonstrates effective leadership and diplomacy skills. (must be able to coach and mentor others)
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and computer based underwriting systems.
* Demonstrates professional phone etiquette and interpersonal skills
* Strong written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated negotiation and sales skills.
* Demonstrates strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and timeliness in order to meet customer service expectations.
* Demonstrates the ability to make decisions, solve problems and work in a fast paced environment meeting aggressive business deadlines
* Strong analytical skills
* 3 or more years of insurance underwriting experience in Commercial Auto.
* MBA or graduate degree in Marketing or Finance.
* Insurance professional designations such as IIC and/or CPCU
* Advanced PC skills, Word, Power point, Excel
* Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the Policy Processing systems.
* Project management experience
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.