University Staff Attorney
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/9/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Ferris State University
Big Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONMANAGEMENT BUSINESS SOLUTIONS HAS BEEN RETAINED BY FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY TO BE A "VALUE-ADD" PARTNER TO THEIR RECRUITMENT FOR THIS POSITION. AS A SOLUTION BASED STAFFING ORGANIZATION; WE HAVE ALIGNED OUR PROCESSES TO MIRROR FERRIS'S TALENT STRATEGIES TO IDENTIFY, SCREEN AND RECRUIT QUALIFIED CANDIDATES.
TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB, AND TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE POSSIBILITIES AT FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY, PLEASE VISIT THEIR WEBSITE.
Under general direction from the General Counsel or his/her designee, advise and represent the University in various legal matters.
* Confer with and advise University officials on a wide variety of legal matters/topics, including issues relating to public corporations, government regulatory compliance, constitutional law, general business and contractual matters, and employment law.
* Interpret, revise, and draft policies of the University, including Board of Trustee policies.
* Prepare policies, resolutions, memorandums of law, and legal opinions.
* Represent the University in legal proceedings.
* Conduct University litigation and claims and their defense.
* Monitor the adoption of significant legislation, the issuance of significant court or administrative rules, regulations, guidelines, or interpretations affecting the University, and advise appropriate University officials of the same.
* Monitor and coordinate litigation assigned to external counsel.
* Assist in formulating and implementing institutional strategies for preventing legal problems.
* Conduct seminars, training, programs, etc.
* Collect and tabulate data from a variety of sources, including the collection of documents/data for responses to subpoenas, and Freedom of Information Act requests and requests for legal assistance through interviews or written correspondence.
To perform this position successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Minimum: J.D. /L.L.B. degree from an ABA-accredited law school; membership in a state bar association and/or membership or eligibility to gain admission into the State Bar of Michigan.
* Minimum: Experience with legal research. Demonstrated capacity for legal reasoning and for clear and concise oral and written communication.
* Preferred: Experience in a university or public sector environment; knowledge of Michigan law.
* Ability to effectively work with varied constituencies and viewpoints through the use of excellent communication, guidance, advising, and mediation skills.
* Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way to modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.