Usability Architect-User Experience
Cerner Corporation - Kansas City, MO
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
Cerner is the leading U.S. supplier of healthcare information technology solutions that optimize clinical and financial outcomes. Around the world, health organizations ranging from single-doctor practices to entire countries turn to Cerner (NASDAQ:
CERN) for our powerful yet intuitive solutions. Cerner offers clients a dedicated focus on healthcare, an end-to-end solution and service portfolio, and proven market leadership.Group Overview
The User Experience Group is part of the Software Design Organization and is responsible for providing solutions that optimize and enable processes across the health care continuum for patients, providers and the health care organization. This group creates the strategy for existing and new Cerner solutions to remain/achieve Best of Class status. The User Experience Group works to ensure that solutions across all platforms (Web, Mobile, Java, Win32) are consistent, easy to use and match the user's needs and requirements through user research and validation. Responsibilities
The Usability Architect is responsible for understanding the vision of Cerner Domains and using this knowledge to communicate user research and analysis findings to engineering and solution owners. He/she will be responsible for solving complex design challenges and presenting ideas across Cerner and our clients. This individual will interact directly with end-users to gather data through usability testing methods as well as other user-centered design research techniques. He/She will conduct quantitative in-person and remote usability testing to understand users' effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction, analyze user study data, present findings, and make design recommendations. He/she will work closely with the User Experience Lead to drive change management and the vision of user-centered design as they execute recommendations to embed usability more deeply within each solution team. The Usability Architect will manage common usability best practices across all Intellectual Property domains, updating the corporate style guide according to the latest research in user-centered design and fully understand a user-centered design methodology. This will be accomplished by evaluating designs against common heuristics; creating demonstrations to support usability testing with clients, as well as coordinating those usability tests.
Additional responsibilities include:- Evangelize best practices for achieving User Centered Design within agile development teams with short timeframes
- Serve as an expert by reviewing concepts and designs for ease of use, and communicating usability best practices
- Create and maintain user personas
- Own and maintain human factors design guidelines and update/modify as required to keep relevant
- Investigate, evaluate and recommend new and merging usability techniques, technologies, and process improvements
- Schedule, define, plan and execute testing and research; including but not limited to recruiting participants, in-lab and remote usability testing, heuristic evaluations, usability reviews, ethnographic studies, task analysis, and identification of customer behavioral patterns
- Interact with a wide variety of end-users including internal associates, physicians, nurses, and IT staff
- Clearly communicate (using documents and/or presentations) usability testing findings, recommendations, and potential design solutions to developers, designers, and the executive leadership Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications:- Master's degree in Human Factors Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology or Ergonomics
- 10+ years of experience in design and/or user testing
- 3+ years of industry experience conducting user research and effectively arguing for tangible improvements to the user experience based on the research results.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables (e.g.:
study plans, reports, research, wire framing)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of information architecture, task-flow models, storyboarding, wire framing, visual design specifications, and guidelines
- Ability to translate complex information into easy-to-understand designs and visual elements
- Proven experience defining and tracking user experience metrics
- Experience in each of the usability and software engineering cycle phases (analysis, design, implementation, and deployment)
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to thrive in a team atmosphere
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects in the same timeframe
- Leadership skills and proven ability to mentor junior associates
- Ability to travel (10-20%)
- Desire to work in the healthcare industry
- Must be living in or willing to relocate to the Kansas City area
Preferred Qualifications:- PhD in Human Factors Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Ergonomics or other related field.
- Experience creating user interface design specifications
- Create wireframes and prototypes with varying levels of fidelity (paper, computer-based)
- Intermediate level experience in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Fireworks, Photoshop) Additional Information
Cerner Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.
Applicants for U.S. based positions with Cerner Corporation must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.