User Experience Designer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 1/18/2017
The Advisory Board Company
User Experience Designer
User Experience & Design
Share | |Email this job
USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER *LI
The Advisory Board Company
The User Experience Designer is a pivotal member of a product design team. They are to offer their user-centered perspective through user research to define and design our products. The User Experience Designer has the opportunity to make large positive impact on the direction of a product they work on.
Our current opportunity is a full time role based in Washington, DC.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Partner with the product manager, development manager, and technical lead to conceptualize, realize, and continuously improve a product or set of products within a product vertical
- Participate in creating a consistent and cohesive user experience across all product lines
- Facilitate design review sessions with key stakeholders with the goal of advocating for the user needs, and achieving consensus among stakeholders for the design solution
- Compromise when it makes sense. See user experience design as an evolution requiring relationship building to shepherd a product to the envisioned design over time.
- Execute continuous user research activities to guide the product evolution along a user centered approach
- Design of consistent information architectures, taxonomies, visual standards, interaction patterns, and use cases across multiple applications within a product vertical
- Create wireframes and functional specifications that are easily consumed by all relevant stakeholders
- Provide accurate time estimates for all tracks of work for each product research and design effort
- Collaborate with the product team to define the priority of features
- Steward your design through the software development process; champion the high standards set by the user experience design team
- Maintain a close working relationship with a geographically distributed team in an evolving agile environment
- Most importantly: Create an open and inclusive environment where all ideas are welcomed from all corners of the organization. You have the opportunity to find the best ideas wherever they may originate either within you or within your team
- 4 + years of professional work experience in UX that includes the following: creating concept models, site organization models, site maps, process flows, wireframes, and functional specifications
- 2+ years of planning, executing, and reporting results of quantitative and qualitative usability and user research studies
- Knowledge of common user centered design activities; such as user interviews, user testing, mental models, journey maps, user archetypes, behavioral models, and conceptual models to guide the product evolution along a user centered approach
- Proven ability to document complex UI layouts & interactions
- Professional experience using the following design tools: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch and Invision
- Bachelor s or advanced degree, with a focus in one or more of the following fields: information architecture, human computer interaction, interaction design, product design, cognitive or experimental psychology
- Professional experience in a cross browser implementation
- Proven ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Experience researching and designing healthcare, financial, or business intelligence software
- Experience designing applications that allow users to quickly visualize patterns, and intuitively navigate within large, complex data sets.
ABOUT EDUCATION ADVISORY BOARD
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,100+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.eab.com.
WHAT THIS ROLE IS NOT:
This is not a developer or coding role. Understanding higher technologies is useful. It will help you understand the power and limitations of the platform when working with the product development teams. However, you will not be writing code in this role.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
OUR CULTURE & VALUES:
We think Forbes said it best: Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about. We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
PERKS (A FEW OF MANY):
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
LEARN ABOUT US
CONNECT WITH US
Community Impact Twitter
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.