User Experience Designer (1437) 8/23/2016
Applied Information Sciences, Inc.
AIS (http://www.appliedis.com) is a highly regarded technical services firm specializing in custom application development and managed services. We invest in technology as early adopters so we can leverage new innovations to deliver transformative solutions for our customers while engaging with them to solve their problems. We are market leaders and have achieved significant deployments in our areas of focus. But what really sets up apart? Simply put - our people.
Help Us Deliver Successful Projects!
As a consulting company, our projects are fluid and we don't hire for a singular spot (not a body shop company), however here is a summary of the type of project/role for a user experience consultant:
* Ability to contribute to and work on a wide range of projects from public-facing sites, to internal applications and robust, custom enterprise products. We work with several different platforms and technologies to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Profile of Success:
* A sound understanding of today's web technologies and the challenges it brings, including (but not limited to) designing for multiple devices and creating truly accessible sites and applications
* Have a passion for building better products; evangelize for the User at every opportunity and help your team members, managers and stakeholders understand why these design choices are important
* Conceptualize and articulate complex ideas, then communicate those ideas to team members, managers and stakeholders through appropriate assets (i.e. sketches, wireframes, prototypes, documentation, spreadsheets, site maps, user flows, personas)
* Possess a strong foundation in design principles and methodologies that can be translated into visual designs and standards for sites and applications
* Ability to use graphic software (such as Photoshop/Illustrator) for creating comps and wireframes (without working in the browser first) or for graphics for non-browser based projects
* Interested in staying current with the latest technologies to modernize and improve your workflow
* Familiar with the latest trends, methods, and tools in the web industry that enable you to meet requirements and produce project assets
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Understanding of common software project management practices
* Understanding of common software development practices, including Agile
Other Desirable Skills:
* Recognize and implement appropriate Human Centered Design techniques at each phase of the project (i.e. card sorting, user interviews, questionnaires, usability tests, A/B tests).
* Experience in one or more of the following areas of disciplines: Usability Testing, Information Architecture, Content Strategy, Interaction Design, Visual Design, Front-End Design.
* Working knowledge of Section 508 Accessibility standards or Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG)
* Formal education (Bachelor's) in interaction design, new media design or related design field
Client Site Locations: DC Metro Area (Downtown DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia)
*Consultants' assigned client sites are subject to change due to the consultative nature of our work. If you can be flexible with your commute tolerance, you will be afforded many opportunities. Flexibility is key, and something we value in our people.
As a services company, our people are what makes us who we are. We are technologists/consultants/problem solvers/builders - all of it wrapped up in one. Customers, partners, former and current employees alike, highlight the caliber of those working at AIS. We hire smart people, but lots of companies say that. Beyond being smart, we attract individuals that are inquisitive and self-motivated to learn new technologies and figure things out. We like to say the best way to learn about something is by building stuff.
Our culture is one of continuous self-improvement and this comes by way of knowledgeable colleagues, a focus on innovation and the right level of resources to learn and share. This extends to our clients, partners and local technical communities. We actively engage with these groups to contribute, foster advancement and build on our expertise. We determine, as a company, our future investments in technology so we can build and try new things.
Interested in applying?
If this sounds like an interesting environment, then we invite you to apply. At AIS, the Recruiting team is dedicated to optimizing your candidate experience. This is a great place to work for folks that are self-directed. We are entrepreneurial and are looking for consultants with the drive and perseverance to make something out of an opportunity.
What can AIS offer you?
Medical, vision, and dental health insurance; paid overtime; training; certification bonuses; state of the art development tools; 401k match; ESOP; tuition reimbursement; company events and a really fun holiday party are all a part of why you should come work here. One last thing, we have really great technical minds to learn from, and let's face it, there's always something new to learn.
Applied Information Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis covered by law. Employment decisions are based solely on qualifications, merit and business need..