Utility Maintenance Mechanic
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
TOWN OF SELMA
JOB DESCRIPTIONUTILITY MAINTENANCE MECHANIC
General Statement of Duties
Performs responsible semi-skilled to skilled work in the installation, replacement, repair and maintenance of water and sewer lines and pumping stations.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs work as part of a team engaged in the maintenance of sewer lines and maintenance and repair of water meters and lines. Work involves significant general public contact and knowledge of the water and sewer system and customer service policies in identifying problems, responding successfully to water leaks, meter malfunctions, sewer clogs, and other similar customer service issues. Work also requires maintenance and repair of water and sewer pumping stations. Employee is subject to working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as working in heavy traffic, loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, and oils. Work may be subject to the final OSHA standards on blood borne pathogens. Employee is also subject to on-call and call-back work. Work is performed under regular supervision of the Public Services Director and is evaluated through observation and inspection for adherence to instructions and standard trade and safety practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks:
* Participates with the crew on the maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines, meters, hydrants, valves and other appurtenances; makes water and sewer taps.
* Inspects, maintains and repairs water and wastewater pumps; makes mechanical, plumbing and electrical repairs.
* Inspects, takes readings, backwashes filters and adjusts chemical feed at wells and water plant; maintains records of work activities; takes samples; performs standard tests.
* Installs, inspects, replaces, locates, reads, tests, disconnects, and changes out residential and commercial water meters.
* Operates a specialized truck to remove sewer blockages with a water pressure jet, automated rodding machine, or vacuum pumping apparatus; enters manholes to clean out obstructions following confined space entry requirements.
* Operates construction equipment including back hoes, excavators, and loaders to dig, load dump trucks or for other purposes.
* Locates water and sewer lines and marks them for other utilities and various construction projects; receives location requests through fax machine; locates and marks water and sewer lines.
* Operates tractor with bush hog attachment to mow and clear sewer easements.
* Operates video camera to inspect sewer lines for inflow and infiltration problems.
* Stocks and maintains assigned trucks and equipment.
* Prepares daily logs or other records.
Additional Job Duties:
* Performs other tasks as required.
Recruitment and Selection Guidelines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Considerable knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in the installation, replacement, maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines and appurtenances.
* Considerable knowledge of the hazards associated with working around raw sewage and other work hazards and the associated safety precautions.
* Considerable knowledge of a variety of maintenance and manual methods and tasks involved i