Utility Operator D
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 12/8/2016
Southern States Cooperative
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY This job description is a summary of essential job functions and requirements necessary for the satisfactory performance of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential job functions and requirements.
The Utility \\"D\\" Operator is the entry level position among the cross-trained and multi-functioning utility operators. The Utility \\"D\\" Operator is required to perform at least one mill operations function as assigned by mill management to maximize plant efficiency. Demonstrates ability to learn and develop mill operations skill sets. Performs work under direct supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Utility \\"D\\" Operator effectively performs at least one (1) mill operation as assigned by mill management to maximize plant efficiency. This includes but is not limited to:
Ingredient Receiving Operations
Summary: Inspect and unload bulk ingredients from railcars or trucks into mill process equipment. Perform all required routing and setup of equipment through mill control system.
Grain Processing Operations
Summary: Operate machinery to grind, crack or crimp ingredients, including corn, barley and oats, in preparation for use in formulas. Determine quantities, set machines and required routing. May use computerized controls in some locations.
Micro Ingredient Operations
Summary: Accurately weigh, measure, package and label smaller quantities of ingredients by hand, including vitamins, minerals and other chemicals, based on specific recipe requirements for use in batching, pelleting or extrusion operations. Utilize hand held scanner and other specialized equipment.
Summary: Operate automated packaging equipment and computerized controls to ensure bags are properly filled with product, sewn, tagged and dated. Properly route for storage or delivery.
Bulk Loadout Operations
Summary: Load bulk delivery vehicles as assigned and per truck loading orders. Utilize mill process equipment to load feed from holding bins to the truck compartments. May use computerized controls at some locations.
Other Plant Operations as management designates, such as but not limited to assisting maintenance mechanics with preventative maintenance or warehousing operations loading and unloading feed and ingredients.
For those operations identified, maintain effective working knowledge of production procedures and assume full responsibility for operational requirements, including communication, documentation, efficiency and scheduling, and maintenance. Effectively utilize the proper tools and equipment to complete assignments, including forklifts, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Demonstrate initiative to develop new operations skills. Participate in training opportunities offered by Southern States to increase familiarity with facility and learn procedures for performing additional mill operations.
- Comply with requirements of the SSC Quality Control (QC) Program in each operation performed. Immediately notify your QC Supervisor or another member of management of any suspected problem with product quality. Review and comply with QC Manual bulletins relative to assigned operations.
- Maintain clean and orderly work area by keeping tools and equipment in proper places and all materials off the floor. Perform all related cleaning and sanitizing of equipment. Properly dispose of waste material. Be proactive with cleaning efforts as facility may receive non-company personnel. Follow all requirements of mill Housekeeping, Quality Control and HACCP Plans.
- Work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Education: Requires a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
Prefer coursework in production engineering or related area
Experience: Requires six (6) months of experience working in a manufacturing or related environment operating a forklift and production machinery.
Prefer experience working in a utility role where job assignments vary based on production and business needs, and/or feed mill experience. Previous SSC work experience a plus.
- Operational knowledge of fork lift, hand truck, pallet jack, and other industrial equipment
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Able to apply logic and understanding to carry out instructions given in written, oral and diagram form
- Computer literacy to utilize and operate the mill process control systems for assigned operations
- Able to meet deadlines determined by production schedule
- Able to learn and understand all quality requirements, including ingredients, formulas and related policies governing the complete production program
- Able to learn and understand Quality Control (QC), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and policies
- Able to complete paperwork, reports, documentation, and email communication in a legible, organized, and timely manner
- Attention to detail
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to work in a fast paced team environment
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
The Utility \\"D\\" Operator primarily performs essential job functions in an indoor environment that is not climate controlled and experiences temperature and humidity swings. Job functions are also occasionally performed in an indoor climate controlled environment and an outdoor environment which may not be protected from weather conditions. Must utilize stairs to work on elevated floors and mezzanines. Must operate and ride an open lift or small enclosed elevator, depending on location, to access floors in the tower. May work on ladders or scaffolding. May work in confined spaces.
The Utility \\"D\\" Operator is frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Dust, odors, and chemicals associated with the production of feed
- Electrical current, vibrations, lubricants and wet surfaces associated with the production, packaging, warehousing, and distribution of product
The Utility \\"D\\" Operator primarily works an 8 hour shift Monday - Friday where overtime is required. Must be able to work an alternate shift, schedule or weekend as determined by business need. Ability to report to work in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
While performing the essential job functions of this position, the Utility \\"D\\" Operator is required to:
- Continuously balance, stand and walk on concrete and grated metal flooring; turn and twist head/neck and waist/back. Pull, push, lift, carry 10-55 pounds unassisted.
- Frequently bend, climb, crouch, kneel, stack, stoop, reach with arms and hands; drive forklifts and utilize eye/hand/foot coordination; use hands in repetitive motion; finger and handle controls, ingredient bags, hand tools to make adjustments, open and close containers. Pull, push, lift, carry 55-80 pounds, may be assisted.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.