VP of Operations
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONHarvey Tool Company, headquartered in Rowley, MA, is a leading North American designer and marketer of specialty carbide end mills and cutting tools used to cut and shape metals in precision machining applications. The Company's competitive advantage in technical expertise, engineering proficiency, and customer service positions Harvey Tool as a recognized leader in the cutting tool industry. Harvey Tool sells its products through a large network of select authorized distributors throughout the U.S. and Canada.
The Company was founded in 1985 to address a void in the $3.3 billion North American cutting tool market for a standard, in-stock offering of custom cutting tools ("specials"). Both standard and custom cutting tools are used by machinists to shape metal and other materials in demanding applications.
In early 2014 the Company teamed with new private equityinvestor, The Riverside Company, to accelerate an aggressive growth strategy consisting of investing in the infrastructure of the Harvey Tool Company and pursuing acquisitions. In August 2015, Harvey Tool acquired Helical Solutions, headquartered in Gorham, Maine. Harvey Tool was interested in Helical Solutions due to its high quality product offering, its well-respected brand, and a reputation for excellent service. The brands are very complementary. Harvey Tool's miniature end mill and specialty profile product focus represents a strong and distinct partner for the Helical Brand, and its large diameter high performance focus.
The company is committed to maintaining both the Harvey Tool offices and distribution presence in Rowley, Massachusetts, and the Helical Solutions' world-class, temperature-controlled and immaculately maintained production facility in Gorham, Maine.
The VP of Operations reports to the CEO, is a member of the company's executive team, and will split time between the two facilities in MA and ME. He/she will be tasked with, and accountable for, delivering LEANinternal/operational leadership to all aspects of Production, Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, Purchasing, and Sourcing for both brands in concert with members of the senior management team. The selected candidate will lead projects through interdisciplinary teams, maintain budgets, develop and maintain external supplier relationships, develop internal customer relationships, coach and mentor at all levels, use TPS/Lean concepts to develop metrics/track improvements, and play a key role in developing a core strategy to provide mechanical designs at the lowest cost._ _
KEY OPERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Direct and coordinate activity of the entire Operations organization to obtain optimum performance, economy of resources and maximize profits
* Plan and direct operations for expansion and growth
* Ensure capability, cost, quality and responsiveness for all Operations functions to meet or exceed organizational, industry, and customer requirements
* Establish process to monitor performance against key success factors (e.g. on time delivery, productivity, labor standards, quality, waste / scrap, cost). Implement action to address any deviation from target
* Implement and maintain product specifications from NPD and effectively implement into operations
* Ensure timely phasing in of new products into production
* Assist NPD with timely execution of test runs and improvement projects on existing product lines
* Partner with Sales team to discuss and establish scheduling timelines for product delivery. Ensure Operations' ability to execute on established timelines
* Establish relationships with suppliers/vendors and understand their capability and pricing strategy
* Develop the manufacturing plan and establish procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations to ensure that products conform to established customer and company quality, cost, and standards
* Formulate and recommend operations policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the business
* Direct and mentor direct reports, and entire Operations team, to accomplish goals of the operations plan, consistent with established operations procedures and processes
KEY LEADERSHIP TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Work closely with CEO and CFO in establishment of budgets, labor standards, cost controls and the measurement of performance against budgeted goals
* Work with Management Team in the development and formulation of long and short term strategic planning, policies, programs and objectives
* Assist in expanding sales revenue and facilitate the introduction and delivery of new products manufactured or services performed to develop new markets, increase share of market and obtain competitive position in industry
* Initiate and coordinate major projects (e.g. plant layout changes, installation of capital equipment, outsourced production selection and standards, technology upgrades, etc.)
* Assist with the identification and integration of potential acquisitions
Candidates will need the following qualifications for consideration for this role:
* Bachelor's degree; an MBA would be an added benefit
* Ideally the candidate will have experience with a larger well-established highly credentialed company known for their selling acumen where they received comprehensive "in-class" AND field based training
* A proven history of leveraging the skills and knowledge developed in previous experiences and applying them in a way that brings leading edge, and best in class approaches, to smaller less resourced environments
* Deep understanding and appreciation for processes like S financial, operational, business development, execution, and team development
* 10+ years' work experience, 5+ as senior level Operations manager (including oversight of multiple sites/locations)
* Deep understanding of, and experience with CNC Machining is required. Cutting Tool industry experience is a significant plus
* Hands on and involved