VP of Research and Development
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONVP OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT - NY - #2374
Our client is an early stage medical device company that develops monitors for high risk patients. The product monitors cardiac output, a critical health metric that indicates the flow rate of blood pumped by the heart. The initial target market for this technology is the ICU and operating rooms. It is potentially extendable for use in emergency rooms.
KEY DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Share inspiration and commitment to bring new products to market.
* Lead all stages of product development as well as cross-functional activities using internal and external resources.
* Oversee the selection of research projects to insure they have the potential to add value.
* Monitor competing and complementary technologies and companies to identify opportunities for licensing, partnerships, and guide strategic product positioning.
* Provide hands-on technical expertise, consultation and project support to development of embedded electronic systems, sensors, software, and algorithms, including wearables for digital health, medical equipment and associated consumables.
* Bring past experience and knowledge to proactively identify potential pitfalls and challenges to all projects and products.
* Present company technology and products to government, industry, academic, and investor groups at congresses and meetings.
* Collaborate with CTO, Medical Advisory Board to define clinical strategy in consideration of current and future potential of technology solutions and overall competitive strategy
* Manage a small team of engineers, and report to the CEO
WORK EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EDUCATION REQUIRED:
* Enthusiasm for working in a startup environment
* Demonstrated creativity and strategic thinker
* Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering and/or equivalent relevant experience.
* 15+ years in medical device R&D with 10+ years in a hands-on management role.
* Successful track record taking designs from prototype to released product, including functional verification and providing manufacturing support upon product release.
* Thorough understanding of all stages of medical electronic and software product development and market introduction.
* Strong digital and analog hardware design experience for embedded systems, especially sensor technologies, low noise design techniques for sensor interfacing, low power design techniques, microprocessor selection and analog/digital interfaces, PCB Layout, and power electronics including power supply and motor control
* Working knowledge of signal processing techniques and algorithm development
* Experience with IEC 60601 and other electrical safety standards
* Experience with preparing design documentation for FDA review and CE Mark
* Experience with hardware design tools (CAD, simulation) and embedded software development tools
* Proficiency with analytical/statistical software, such as Matlab
* Fundamental understanding of biomaterials, chemical processes, and biological systems.
* Knowledge of cardiovascular physiology a plus.
* Familiarity with Bluetooth and Wifi communication protocols a plus
* Familiarity with mobile app design a plus
* Knowledge of FDA, GMP, QSR and ISO 13485 requirements.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English.
* Ability to work well both independently and within a diverse team.
* Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
* Ability to travel domestic and international for up to 25% of the time.