Vice President & Assistant General Counsel
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
ENGIE North America Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 154,950 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of 69.9 billion in 2015. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition. We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy.
Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
The Role: The Vice President & Assistant General Counsel position will primarily be responsible for providing legal support to the Global Energy Management (GEM) business entity. The Counsel will provide reinforcement support to the GEMs origination and wholesale gas and power energy marketing business in the U.S. and across a broad range of products, including commodity and derivative contracts, structured products, asset management agreement and energy management services on a multijurisdictional basis. The Counsel will be dealing with a wide range of US domestic and international clients including corporate and financial institutions, while also working with related departments within GEM to structure transactions while managing legal and reputational risk from the origination phase to closing.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Develops and executes comprehensive legal strategies and solutions to lawfully facilitate GEMs and their affiliates commercial objectives while mitigating any associated legal risk.
* Drafts, reviews, negotiates and management of:
* Master Agreements (i.e. NAESB or GISB agreements, EEI, ISDA and annexes) for various commodities and related derivatives (i.e. power, gas, CO2)
* Other energy contracts (i.e. asset management agreements, energy management agreements, hedging contracts, gas storage and transportation contracts, tolling agreements, intra-group contracts, gas origination contracts, energy purchase and sales contracts, brokerage contracts, portfolio optimization contracts, demand side management contracts, etc.)
* Pre-transactional and transaction documents, e.g., marketing documents, confidentiality agreements, term sheets, etc.
* Credit management documentation (e.g. netting agreements, credit support annexes, letters of credit and guaranties) and any ancillary agreements relating to the teams scope (IT, SLAs, etc.)
* Provides legal support in relations to the structuring of transactions, new products, joint ventures and partnership financing structures.
* Conducts regulatory and other due diligence, reviews and advises on credit support, legal opinions and other conditions precedent.
* Liaise with and draft legal notes for Trading, Origination, Sales and other departments across GEM (such as Credit, AML/KYC, New Product Approval Team)
* Address legal and regulatory developments of commodities, provide training on topical issues to GEM colleagues and attend industry forums and round-tables.
* Provide legal support in relation to event driven issues such as events of default, covenant breaches, waivers, trustee, inter-creditor issues, acceleration, and enforcement, reservation of rights while considering and advising on the impact on the companys financial position.
* Develop practice notes and assist with policy and guidelines formulation.
* Liaise with government regulators and self-regulatory organizations.
* Supervise external counsel in managing complex administration and commercial litigation.
* Ensure the compliance by GEM in the U.S. with the GEM Legal Risk Mandate, in line with local legal and regulatory requirements.
* Provide legal support to GEM in all aspects of their corporate governance requirements and entity formation and dissolution, and acts as the primary legal advisor to the GEM Group.
* Advise on the implementation of financial and physical energy market regulation.
* Supervise other general attorneys.
* Comply with all policies and procedures of GEM, ENGIE and their affiliates as applicable to GEM and ENGIE.
* Act as a team member with all employees.
* Carries out other duties as assigned.
* Excellent interpersonal relationship skills, a strong commitment to professional/ethical standards, an ability to flexibly adapt to changing priorities and demanding deadlines with minimum of frustration, and an ability to timely support multiple complex assignments with superior legal work products and/or practical legal advice are essential to success in this position.
* Demonstrating commercial understanding, good judgment on legal risk decisions and on when to escalate
* An intellectually curiosity self-starter
* Confident, able and quick to learn
* Working effectively as part of a team
* Producing results in the face of adversity
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
* Ability to meet highest attendance requirements
* Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
* Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
* Travel may be required and work beyond scheduled hours will be required from time to time depending on the workload.
* Ability to use personal computer, calculator, etc.
* Could involve some lifting.
* BA/BS Required
* JD from an ABA accredited law school
* Ten to Fifteen years of law firm and/or in-house experience in the US in the power and gas trading sector.
* Ten years in-house experience in the US power and gas trading sector.
* Licensed to practice law in Texas or another US jurisdiction, and in good standing
* Proven experience of US regulation concerning power and gas trading
* Excellent drafting and commercial skills
* Being familiar with, and demonstrate responsibility for a range of structured finance transactions
* Technical and legal (and other) risk awareness skills
* Demonstrating experience with innovative deals and structuring
* Articulating firms governance and risk policies
* Transaction and project management skills
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For this role you must have authorization to work in the United States. Sponsorship will not be provided for this role.
This job posting is supported by the ENGIE Recruiting Team. Agency involvement is not required. All related enquiries must come to the Recruiting team and not to direct ENGIE Managers.