Warehouse Associate 9/14/2016
Southern States Cooperative
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY This job description is a summary of essential job functions necessary for the satisfactory performance of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Job functions may vary by location.
Training level position among the cross trained and multi-functioning warehouse positions in the distribution division. Mustdemonstrate the ability to learn and develop distribution skill sets including picking orders and load consolidation, as well as mixed and full pallet put-away. Effectively operates a High-Low Picker Truck, Stand-Up Forklift, and Sit-Down Forklift, including Reach Truck. Performs work under direct supervision.
Essential Job Functions
Position is made up of three training levels, each requiring warehouse distribution skills of increasing complexity. Essential job functions for each training level are identified below. Additionally, essential job functions required of all training levels are provided.
- High-Low Picker Truck - Effectively utilize a Radio Frequency (RF) Scanner to receive lines for order picking. Safely operate high-low picker truck through warehouse aisles to locate correct order items according to RF instructions. Navigate both wide and narrow aisles and utilize picker truck at heights up to 20 feet daily. Scan item location with RF and manually remove item from racks and place on pallet.
- Stand-Up Forklift - Effectively utilize RF Scanner to receive lines for order picking. Safely operate a stand-up forklift through high traffic warehouse aisles (and outside, depending upon location) to locate correct order items according to RF instructions. Pick items and/or retrieve pallets in racks or bulk stacks at heights up to 15 feet daily.
- Sit-Down Forklift - Effectively utilize RF Scanner to receive lines for order picking. Safely operate a sit-down forklift through high traffic warehouse aisles (and outside, depending upon location) to locate correct order items according to RF instructions. Pick items and/or retrieve pallets in racks or bulk stacks at heights up to 15 feet daily.
- Reach Truck Forklift - Effectively utilize RF Scanner to receive lines for order picking. Safely operate reach truck forklift through high traffic warehouse aisles to locate correct order items according to RF instructions. Pick items and/or retrieve pallets in double deep racks at heights up to 20 feet or bulk stacks up to 15 feet high daily.
- Load Consolidation - Consolidate items from multiple pallets onto one pallet to create a stable shipping pallet according to warehouse guidelines. Manually lift and stack items in a neat and organized manner. Inspect items for deterioration and damage, report to supervisor.
The essential functions below are required for all Training Levels:
- Complete and maintain written reports, logs, and other related documents accurately and in a timely manner according to warehouse procedures.
- Continuously communicate with co-workers and supervisors about current warehousing assignments. Work together as a team to maximize efficiency, ensure safety, and meet customer requirements. Show courtesy to all co-workers, drivers, visitors, and others.
- Demonstrate initiative to develop new distribution skills. Participate in training opportunities offered by Southern States to increase familiarity with facility and learn procedures for performing additional operations.
- Maintain clean and orderly work area by keeping tools and equipment in proper places and all materials off the floor. Properly dispose of waste material. Be proactive with cleaning efforts as facility may receive non-company personnel. Follow all requirements of Housekeeping Plan.
- Perform daily forklift inspections according to warehouse guidelines. Report maintenance needs of forklift and other equipment to supervisor. May assist with maintenance of equipment as needed.
- Work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Requires a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
Prefer previous experience operating a high-low picker truck, stand-up forklift, sit-down forklift, and/or reach truck as well as other industrial machinery. Prefer previous work experience in a warehouse or distribution environment. Previous Southern States work experience a plus.
- Able to learn and effectively operate high-low picker truck, stand-up forklift, sit-down forklift, and/or reach truck; hand truck, pallet jack, and other industrial equipment
- Able to apply logic and understanding to carry out instructions provided in written, oral, or diagram form
- Able to learn, understand and follow safety, quality control and operating procedures at all times
- Basic math skills
- Attention to detail
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to complete paperwork in a legible, organized, and timely manner
- Able to work in a fast paced team environment
- Able to calmly and effectively work with time constraints and deadlines
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
Continuously performs essential job functions indoors in an environment that is not climate controlled and experiences temperature and humidity swings. Depending upon location, essential job functions are occasionally performed outdoors and may not be protected from weather conditions.
Frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Operating a high-low picker truck and/or forklift at heights up to 20 feet
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Vibrations, dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with warehousing and distribution of feed, fertilizer, seed, and other related products.
Depending upon location may work an eight (8) hour shift five (5) days a week or a ten (10) hour shift four (4) days a week. Overtime may be required. Must be able to work an alternate shift, schedule or weekend as determined by business need. Ability to report to work in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
While performing the essential job functions of this position also required to:
- Continuously balance, bend, and stack; drive motorized equipment; finger and handle equipment controls and merchandise; reach with arms and hands; stand on concrete surface and while driving motorized picker truck and forklift; twist back and neck; utilize feet and hands in repetitive motion while driving motorized equipment. Pull, push, lift, carry 10-55 pounds unassisted.
- Frequently crouch and kneel. Pull, push, lift, carry 55-100 pounds.
- Occasionally climb, sit, stoop and walk. Pull, push, lift, carry over 100 pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to hear equipment sounds, warehouse pages, co-workers and radio. Must be able to speak to co-workers regarding production and safety. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
Hard hat, steel toed shoes required.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.