Weather Forecaster (Alternate) 9/13/2016
Scientific Research Corporation
North Charleston, SC
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Alternate position for Weather Forecaster in McMurdo Station, Antarctica. This is a seasonal position in support of the National Science Foundation, SPAWAR Office of Polar Programs. SRC's Antarctic program provides air traffic control, meteorology, and ground electronics maintenance services in Antarctica with cyclic deployments during the summer and winter seasons. Primary responsibility is to perform as a Weather Forecaster in support of the meteorology function at McMurdo Station, Antarctica or in the Remote Operation Facility in Charleston, SC.
Forecasting tools are available to assist the forecasters in making the most accurate forecasts according to data available and site locations. Forecasts are developed using locally measured data, human observations, upper air data, satellite imagery, and numerical weather prediction models. Due to the sparse data available and the geographical location, data used for forecasting is inherently limited due to satellite orbit patterns and time of day, time of year, staffing levels, and network bandwidth.
Scientific Research Corporation is an advanced information technology engineering company that provides innovative products and services to government and private industry, as well as independent institutions. At the core of our capabilities is a seasoned team of highly skilled engineers and scientists with multidisciplinary backgrounds. This team is challenged daily to provide cutting edge technology solutions to our clients.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for aviation, ship, and site weather forecasting services and developing weather briefings for pilots and interested parties such as outlying camps, field parties, stations located throughout the continent, and sea vessels operating in the area.
* Assist in preparation of all required reports and demonstrate good problem solving skills.
* Prepare Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAFs) for 24-hour periods;
* Prepare and provide aviation forecasts and briefings for local area, domestic, and international flights;
* Prepare and disseminate aviation facility weather alerts and severe weather notifications;
* Support non-aviation and non-aviation special operations as required such as land traverses, medical evacuations, unscheduled winter operations, etc.; and
* Prepare ship forecasts for USAP sponsored ships and others as directed.
Scientific Research Corporation offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages excellence. Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Scientific Research Corporation is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate in employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
MINIMUM SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
* Ten (10) years of experience in weather forecasting and operational meteorology, which includes at least three (3) years of experience in airport/airfield weather forecasting in support of an operational weather office.
* Must be a graduate of an approved DoD weather course.
* Accurate data entry skills, attention to detail, and follow-up abilities required.
* Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of weather forecasting, creating weather charts, and preparing briefing material.
* Must possess the full professional knowledge of meteorological methods, techniques, and theory and the ability to apply the knowledge in the solution of practical and theoretical problems in forecasting and reporting weather conditions.
* Performing this job requires that Antarctic medical and dental qualifications be met. Position requires deployment to Antarctica for 4-7 months at a time.
* The normal work week is 54 hours when deployed, standing 12-hour shifts on a rotating shift schedule.
* Passport required and is reimbursable.
DESIRED SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
* Forecasting experience in Polar Regions, curriculum development, and analytical case study development is preferred.
* Experience forecasting with limited data.
* Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
This position does not require an active security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled