Yard Helper - Rolling Mill - GER01953
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description Duties & Responsibilities
1. Work involves repetitive tasks, routine in nature, requiring care in observing material for blemishes, counting pieces and taking lab samples for testing.
2. Keep crop end material cleared from shear and transfer into scrap pit. Remove damaged and shortened stock lengths from shear tables and assist in cobble removal and cutting as necessary
3. Work in close cooperation and coordination with Shipping Crane Operators stacking material in warehouse, loading railcars, truck trailers and when transferring or placing tonnage. Provide signals to crane operator for proper lift and placement of materials.
4. Cut up scrap and place into scrap boxes, unload tonnage as delivered.
5. When operating the rod rolling mill, perform duties to assist the bundling and storing of coiled small diameter reinforcing steel and wire rod products as received from the rolling process.
6. Attach downgraded stock tickets to identify short, tangled or scrap bundles as instructed.
7. Operate pendant crane to transfer wire spindle replacement to tie machine location.
8. Utilize arc welding machine to weld wire spindle ends together to allow continuous operation of tying machine.
9. On rotating basis, operate forklift to receive and remove finished coil bundles from walking beam
10. When signaled, remove scrap wire rod or reinforcing steel from trim station scrap area and place into scrap trailer
11. When tie machine is down, initiate tie machine by pass mode when operating tilting trim. Notify others via telephone and radio when bypass cycle is initiated to alert all other operations personnel.
12. Place untied by passed coils into the off-line compactor for compacting and tying. Operate off-line compactor to properly compact and tie coils to the prescribed dimensions. Activate lever to dump tied coil from compactor.
13. Operate track mobile to position railcars for loading. Attach tension bands to loaded flat railcar loads.
14. Operate nose trim station by engaging the tilt mechanism to position coil spindle for trim process. Remove coil rib overfill from finished coil bundle. Place coil scrap remnants on scrap staging arm. Engage tilt mechanism to return coil spindle to upright position.
15. Monitor movement of coil spindles through operator station area from reform chamber to compacting and tying machine. Additional Responsibilities:
1. Assist operators and maintenance personnel in performing preventive and breakdown maintenance.
2. Assist Shear Operator, Bundler Operator, Crane Operator and Shipping Checker-Loader.
3. As assigned, operate forklift to transfer tagged coil bundles to proper stock staging area as per shipping ticket information or tag station operator instructions.
4. As directed, cut samples from coil bundle, place in sample packet and label with heat and bundle number.
5. Forward sample packets to lab personnel for testing.
6. Signal tag station operator or forklift operator for scrap removal as needed.
7. Participate with rolling mill crew members in accordance with workload priorities such as removing hot cobbles & mill changeovers.
8. Provide full support for the implementation and management of the Safety-In-Action system in area of responsibility.
9. Participate in all accident and incident investigations in area of responsibility.
10. Conduct routine safety activities including inspection tours, employee contacts and visibility tours.
11. Ensure that safety rules and requirements are being followed in all work areas.
12. Ensure that work rules are posted in all work areas.
13. Maintain compliance with visual management standards.
EDUCATION High school diploma or GED equivalent. Basic computer skills, Operate controls of assigned work station with little or no interpretation required. 1 14
EXPERIENCE Over 6 months and up to 9 months. 2 44
INITIATIVE AND INGENUITY Requires the use of some judgment to comply with instructions, standard procedures, methods or practices to determine damaged or blemished product, record and affix shipping ticket information, and effectively stack, load and transfer stock material. 2 28
PHYSICAL DEMAND Light physical effort overall, consisting of times of observation to times of throwing scrap and tonnage or lifting and placing bars of heavyweight or long length. 2 20
MENTAL OR VISUAL DEMAND Continuous mental and visual attention in highly repetitive work requiring constant alertness to flow of work, machine or equipment operating sequence, and in the operation of fork lift when moving and lifting finished coil bundles. 3 15
RESPONSIBILITY FOR EQUIPMENT OR PROCESS Improper or careless operation of track mobile, fork lift, pendant crane, nose trim station, tie machine , etc., may cause damage to equipment or structures. Probable damage seldom over $100.00. 1 5
RESPONSIBILITY FOR MATERIAL OR PRODUCT Failure to identify faulty material, improper tagging identification of bundles, or placement of finished product into stock staging area may cause shipment of improper material. Probable loss seldom over $250.00 2 10
RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFETY OF OTHERS Inattentive, thoughtless, or careless operation of equipment or careless handling of scrap and tonnage may cause lost-time injury to others such as crushed hand, foot, loss of fingers or toes, cuts, abrasions, bruises, etc. 3 15
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS Responsible for own work or occasionally for 1 person. 1 5
WORKING CONDITIONS Somewhat disagreeable working conditions. Exposed to noise, vibration, heat, and outside weather conditions with one usually continuously present to the extent of being objectionable. 3 30
HAZARDS Injuries, should they occur, may result in loss of time due to crushed hand, loss of fingers, or eye injuries. 3 15 Salary & Benefits
* Medical and Prescription
* Dental Vision Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
* Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
* Health Advocate Services
* Employee Assistance Program
* Tuition Reimbursement Program
Additional Agency Job Board Text Application Process
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (866) 788-2798 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org.