Analytical Chemist 9/19/2017
Santa Clara, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description:
Agilent inspires and supports discoveries that advance the quality of life. We provide life science, diagnostic and applied market laboratories worldwide with instruments, services, consumables, applications and expertise. Agilent enables customers to gain the answers and insights they seek so they can do what they do best: improve the world around us. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.
The Mass Spectrometry Division (MSD) of Agilent Technologies is seeking a chemist to serve in the role of R&D Scientist within the Quadrupole Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer team. This chemist will be part of a team responsible for the design, development, operation, evaluation, and optimization of high resolution mass spectrometers. A preferred candidate will have a strong understanding of and experience with both GC- and LC-mass spectrometers and chromatography methods and applications. Critical for this position is an aptitude for hands-on experimentation and instrument operation. Team coordination skills are a must, as is a disciplined ability to collect, interpret, and maintain data necessary for ISO and other regulatory certifications. The ideal candidate will have enthusiasm for cross-functional partnerships and new application opportunities, and an understanding of what is important to customers who use mass spectrometers. Previous experience with Agilent or equivalent MS data post-processing software is strongly desired.
The R&D Scientist will work with a talented and experienced team of hardware and software engineers, physicists, and other chemists, and interface cross-functionally with marketing and product support teams responsible for product introduction and market success. The spectrometers developed are employed in markets that include but are not limited to food/agriculture, environmental, energy, metabolomics, biopharma/pharma, proteomics, forensic toxicology and doping.
The R&D Scientist will be based in Santa Clara, CA, Agilent s corporate headquarters.
* Develop and execute chemical test plans for Verification and Validation of instrument performance
* Collect and maintain data required for regulatory compliance Verification
* Critical member of R&D team for component, system and solution evaluations throughout the product lifecycle.
* Train cross-functional chemists and instrument scientists on the use of emerging (new) systems
* Develop chemistry methods necessary for customers to realize performance gains from new instruments.
* Work closely with project manager to maintain lifecycle documents, particularly traceability matrix and chemical test validation.
* Maintain appropriate laboratory notebooks, write research reports, periodically present work to the R&D team, peers and senior
* BS/MS in chemistry or related area. PhD Analytical Chemistry or Biology preferred
* Experience in operation of chromatography and mass spectrometry systems, particularly time-of-flight instruments for applications
relevant to markets described above.
* Meticulous laboratory practices
* Exceptional analytical reasoning
* Experience in analysis of mass spectrometry data.
* Good teamwork skills.
* Record of scientific publications/presentations, preferably demonstrating involvement in new analytical product commercialization
* Strong verbal and written presentation skills.
* Demonstrated initiative and creativity
* Ability to work independently, under time pressure
Agilent Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We value diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, pregnancy, race, religion or religious creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, local law, ordinance, or regulation and will not be discriminated against on these bases.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster available here:
Agilent Technologies, Inc., is committed to diversity in the workplace and strives to support candidates with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance with any part of the application or interview process or have questions about workplace accessibility, please contact +1-262-754-5030 (US and Canada only) or email email@example.com. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.