Apprentice Switching Dispatcher
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2017
END DATE 5/31/2018
Duquesne Light Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONDuquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Starting rate: $29.49
This position will allow the applicant the opportunity to study and train for Certification and/or Licensing requirement(s) deemed necessary by organizations entrusted with the reliable operation of the bulk power system, and under direct supervision of the Switching Dispatcher receive basic training to perform Switching Dispatcher functions. Under direct supervision, on an assigned shift, qualified applicants will receive basic training in performing duties for Switching Dispatchers.
* How the components of the electrical system are coordinated and integrated in to an efficient and reliable operating unit. Become familiar with equipment capacities and ratings and operate to keep equipment within rated limits.
* Maintaining positive control of the transmission and subtransmission electric power system's operation; following the loading of the transmission lines, subtransmission lines, bulk power stations and distribution stations and implementing the necessary established procedures to ensure system reliability and exemplary customer service; recording the necessary data for the Duquesne Light system bulk power surveys and analyzes the data; as determined by management, establishing the proper running order at all stations; taking the necessary precautionary steps to safeguard service.
* Preparing the necessary forms and/or recording in the appropriate log in detail all the necessary operations for electrical switching to maintain system reliability, planned outages, or emergency outages; issuing orders and directing the appropriate switching associated with the above; in accordance with established procedures issuing orders, directing the appropriate switching, and when necessary contacting customers involved with the establishment of electrical clearances associated with the transmission and subtransmission systems as required; monitoring the releasing and withdrawing of such clearances directly to qualified personnel recording on the appropriate form the reporting on times, reporting off times, and other germane information.
* Interpreting indications on available instruments, tools, and displays for all stations, tie lines, transmission lines, subtransmission lines, and deviation meters to ensure the reliability and power quality of the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations are maintained at the highest possible level; taking the appropriate measures to maintain proper voltages on the above systems and stations; by manipulating controls or telephone takes the proper action to correct deviations on the above systems and stations to return reliability and power quality to the highest possible level.
* Directing operations associated with the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations during emergencies such as storms, floods, etc; gathering information, in collaboration with a Regional Transmission Organization or successor making decisions and applying corrective action with the objective of isolating faulty equipment, minimizing interruptions and re-establishing serviceable equipment as quickly as possible; gathering information, making decisions and applying corrective action associated with the subtransmission system, and distribution stations, with the objective of isolating faulty equipment, minimizing interruptions and re-establishing serviceable equipment as quickly as possible.
* Following and interpreting supervisory indications, operating from the Operations Center or Emergency Operations Center remote control devices or equipment that logs data; directing operations of such devices located at other geographic areas when attended.
* Directing the cut-in of new equipment associated with the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations; coordinating phasing and voltage checks; directing special tests associated with the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations.
* Maintaining and preparing logs, graphs, curves, charts, records, statistics, and prepares reports as specified by management. Updates the status of equipment on the system diagram board in a timely manner; assists others authorized to maintain the system diagram in maintaining the system diagram.
* Assists the Distribution Operations Supervisor with the following functions as assigned:Insurance Forms-gathers the required information and completes the form, Enters the necessary distribution outage information in the appropriate manner to comply with PUC requirements, In appropriate situations, assists the Distribution Operations Supervisor in coordinating the movement of personnel
* Keeping informed of operational changes, conditions, operating orders, practices and procedures related to the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations; understanding the effect the previously mentioned changes have on the transmission system, subtransmission system, bulk power stations and distribution stations.
* Insures adequate relay protection by authorizing removal of relay systems for work on the relay, communication, or other associated systems, and by reporting any associated supervisory indications to the proper party.
* Acquire and maintain a working knowledge of the Duquesne Light safety rules and working procedures.
* Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent; must have successfully completed training in DC theory and AC theory related to power system operations from an accredited program or a program recognized by Duquesne Light; shall have been evaluated for this position by an independent psychological service of Duquesne Light's choosing and has been recommended for the position by such psychological service.
* Ability to learn the job must be demonstrated by satisfactorily completing and/or passing appropriate tests and achieving the required Certification and/or Licensing requirement(s) deemed necessary by organizations entrusted with the reliable operation of the bulk power system.
* Highly retentive memory, together with indicated ability to visualize a series of operations from beginning to their completion.
* Physical requirements must be met in accordance with the job.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.